Vitamin D deficiency and Type 1 diabetes

Posted , 2 users are following.

This might be a little niche. I've been type 1 diabetic since 1997. All fine, no issues.

About 2 years ago I began struggling walking short distances, I would get intense head pressure pain and pain inside of my neck/throat. I went to A&e due to palpitations, severe heartburn and very bad chest pains. They found nothing wrong and gave me omeprazole which didn't do anything.

The pain carried on and I became out of breath just walking up my stairs. The pain in my neck and head when I was walking about was so intense I had to get taxis to be able to do the short trip to pick my children up. I also noticed I would get the same intense pain if my blood sugars rose above 11 ish.

I kept going to the docs who did many tests and ordered a chest x ray and neck ultrasound. Everything was fine. I went back and was put on amitriptaline which did not help at all. I went back again and they ordered more tests. My parathyroid level was raised, but a normal calcium range, and my vitamin d level was 17. For 3 weeks I have been taking one 50,000 tablet weekly and have another 3 weeks to go until I take a smaller dose daily.

Does anyone have any experience of getting better? Particularly anyone with the strange symptom link to type 1 diabetes?

Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.