Vitamin D level low

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I am just looking to hear how some of you guys are feeling with low levels of vitamin D.

I recently had some blood results and my doctor said that my vitamin D has come back "quite low". He says he is putting me on an 8 week course of high dosage meds (unsure which as I do not have the prescription yet) to see if it helps.

What I'm actually after here is to see if anyone with this issue feels similar to myself. For quite some time now, around 10 months actually, I have had bone pain in my lower back, my sides around my pelvis and actually just in general around the pelvis. I have had a normal MRI result on the lumbar and sacral spine. It's got a little worse as time has gone on and I now get muscle ache too, particularly in the backs of my legs and I am very stiff when I first get up in the morning, some days a feeling of general soreness. Is this at all similar to anyone else with vitamin D issues? Any comments greatly appreciated, thank you

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am a 31yr old male
  • Posted

Low vit D often causes aches and pains - but it depends on the person. My husband had a level of 7 a few weekes ago - he feels fine! Loads of people don't notice anything - or any difference when they have got their vit D back to a decent level. 

Basically - take the pills, get your vit D checked and see how you feel. If the aches and pains and stiffness are still there after a few months - ask your doctor what they think about it.

• Posted

What is your diet like?

According to NHS Choices 

Good food sources are:oily fish – such as salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel.

red meat.

liver.

egg yolks.

fortified foods such as most fat spreads and some breakfast cereals.

Your skin can "make" Vitamin D when exposed to sunlight but you are not going to get much of that for a few months and nowadays it is not PC to go out without covering up or using high factor sun screen.

If you don't eat much or any of the above you may also be deficient in Vitamin B12 the symptoms of which are similar.  Were your serum B12  and serum Folate tested at the same time.

I hope you get to feel better soon

• Posted

I've been this way since near the start of 2016. Diet is good as I have a hiatus hernia so I need to eat well. Aches and pains have slowly got worse over time

• Posted

I been on 50,000 of vit D3 I felt ok for about 1 month, I have all you system plus my arms hurts and limited movement on them, I been referred to a  rheumatologist . 

Appoint is 1/27 

• Posted

Meant to say symptoms
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am unsure on my dosage as I am only picking up the prescription today. I hope you start to feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.