vitiligo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone here suffer from vitiligo? I think I have it. The base of my penis has turned white and I got a small spot of white on my neck. Can it be treated! Will it continue to grow and take over my whole body?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, 

I just found out that I have vitiligo. I started with a few white spots that over months spread. I am also learning that vitiligo is associated with other auto-immune diseases. I just found out through blood work from the dermatologist that I have a thyroid problem and potentially lupus. So you should go to a dermatologist and it looked at. I was told that if they address the other auto-immune diseases then the spreading of vitiligo might stop. The spots that I currently have will not go away. They are different creams you can try, but from what I have heard there is not much success with them. You can also bleach the rest of your pigment if the disease progresses. Hope that helps!

• Posted

Hello Matthew,

I have had it in my forehead close to my hair and gone. It usually easier to treat it and chance of it to disappear in places where there is grown hair is way higher. Though, I do have white hairs remaining but no white skin left.

No doctor can tell you whether it will go, spread or stop. You just need to prevent from getting scared. Just take it easy and use medicines to help in this. I have used Protopic cream twice a day, and I used Oxoralen serum once. The Oxoralen is so strong, and I forgot the percentage I used but sure was less than .5%.

The good thing is it has nothing to do AT ALL with any disease; it is purely cosmetic. No body knows why and how it happens (any thing you read in the Internet is assumption, no one knows why and how yet). Uou should not worry about it coz it is not a disease, and it does not go to another person. Some say it could be genetic from family or whatever. Still, no one in my family has it and I did. Some say it comes if you have been through a high stress or shock, still nothing confirmed.  I myself believe got it from over stress and overthinking.

One advice, do not do bleaching or any of these. I just hope it won't spread. Just take it easy and don't get stressed. take care,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.