Waiting for thryiod surgery with a goitre

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I have hashimoto and well let's just say it's not been a easy few months, I somehow got a goitre and not the one that you don't notice I got the one that pushes on your air way and esophagus. And that hurts to eat and drink. And well made me loose a lot of weight and give me panic attacks . I have been poked with purity much everything and now am waiting for a bio opsey so that I can get it to see a ent so that hopefully they will say ok let's take it all out. Because I can't live like this . Does anyone have a goitre and feel like this ?? Pulse some days it feels bigger and harder and worse to deal with but I can't find any info on if goitres grow and shrink ?

Please help me !!!!!!!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Stephanie,   My goitre was 3.5 cm, and felt that I was choking at times.   It was very visable on the exterior of my neck as well.  Here is my suggestion....I was very happy I had it removed, however, there are risks of surgery effecting your vocal chords.   Ask the question and get informed.   Now that said I went through 2 surgeries, one to remove the goiter, and a second 8 months later to remove the other side of the thyroid as suggested by the surgeon because they had seen some cancer cells in my 3.5 nodule.   The other side of my thyroid was perfectly fine, and now I suffer with hypoparathyroidism.  There was no need to remove the other side!  It was unnecessary!  Get informed and understand the risks.  Understand everyone gets paid when patients go through surgery.  Always get a second opinion. 
    • Posted

Yes I have been doing lots of looking up on it. Me having hashimoto they probably won't leave any of the thryiod my body will just attack the other side in a short period of time so as I have been reading they ushilly do it all at once . I have read about the risks. And I looked at reviews on the surgeon and he has great reviews so I think that's the best I can do the rest is in there hands I can't live like this !! What or how bad was the pain after the surgery and how long did it take you to heal ??

• Posted

i have been recently told i have surgery for my goiter that is about 6 cm. i never had issue with choking and i am currently overweight. i have strong family background of cancers on both sides, mostly on my father side!!
    • Posted

Well I wish you the best of luck ever and hope that it is not cancerous and that the goiter stays not bugging you mine does but that's just because of were it is in my throat yours must be more to the side and trust me that a good. I wish you the best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.