Waiting on LTHR

Posted , 3 users are following.

I live in Melbourne Australia.

I had a car accident in 2019 and since then was sufferering upper and lower back pain.

it wasnt until 2021 that I was diagnosed wit servere OA and MRI showed hip bone on bone.

i waitied 8 months for a surgeon to advise this.

He told me Ultimately i will need a LTHR. I was put on another list where I waited 5 months to see a Rheumatologist to rule out inflamatory disease before I was operated on. This was ruled out. Discharged from Footscray clinic and them refered to Sunshine Pain clinic where I thought I was having pre operation management, to then be told I wasnt even on a list for hip operation. I have been in excruciating pain for roughly 2.5 years and still nothing. Im only 40. cant walk my kids in to school, I struggle daily to do most normal things such as put pants, socks on. I cant exercise (which i often did to stay fit physically and mentally) and cant join in with most things due to pain. I am now looking into going out further to country hoping that someone can help me. This is soul destroying! Nobody deserves to be treated this way. My heart goes out to anybody going through this pain or anybody waiting for any life changing surgeries.

The health system is failing all of us.

when will this end

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Emily you are absolutely correct by them putting off your hip surgery as long as they have, the biggest problem with not only coping with extreme pain and loss of mobility and a awful,standard of living you were not given anything to help manage the pain. That is flat out abusive. even waiting that length of time could put you at risk for further damage to the area even joint collapse, and or necrosis to the femur. and much more.

time to set up meetings with the administration file complaints call every day set up more complaints over and over until you get a date for surgery. it may also be worth it for you to go to a private hospital. you can get something done before you have so much damage to the bone tendons that it could interfere with a good quality outcome once THR surgery is done.

your the boss here .. not she doctors , your in charge of your health. Be your own advocate and gather info as much as possible also gather visuals on you tube look up complications if the surgery is not completed within a reasonable time learn the consequences and complications. Gather ammunition to arm yourself for a better out come. understand the whole process and different approaches as well components used why and how they are inserted . and know the complications . Hip replacement surgery is not for sissies. it takes months for normal recovery . i have had three and each one was different and have a better quality of live and mobility restored. you deserve to have a better life too...

Sorry this is so long but this kind of patient neglect has no place in the medical field. i have so much anger toward surgeons, doctors who have no clue how much pain and every day angst you go thru unnecessarily every day . This is unconscionable and quite frankly criminal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.