Waking up with pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am waiting for my first hip replacement in a couple of weeks. I am only able to sleep on my back as it is painful to try and sleep on either side.due to spinal problems as well.

Sometimes I get woken up by a pain in my left heel, I then have to get up and stand on it for a few minutes before it eases, feeling like a lump but unable to see anything.

Anybody come across anything similar to try and ease it.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dennis 

Welcome to the forum and all the lovely hippies who will be able to help and support you over the next few weeks and months.

So sorry to hear to hear you are in pain but glad it isnt too long until you r opeation. 

I have had heel pain (even after the op) as it is often associated with not being able to move much and apart from what you are doing to get the circulation going, putting  a soft pillow under your foot can help.

I am nearly four weeks post op (second hip) and I dont get heel pain any more which I assume as I am more mobile now.

Best of luck with your op, do let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Linnet x

• Posted

Hello dennisb,

It's a good job you CAN sleep on your back. This is because after your hip operation you are required (if you are in the UK) to sleep on your back for 6 weeks afterwards. I for one found this sheer torture! Sorry to hear you have other spinal problems as well, don't know what they are, but your hip will certainly be much, much better.

You may find it easier to sleep on your side if you place a pillow between your knees (you may have already done this) or purchase a purpose-made shaped support, It's a little pricey but works well.

I had my first hip replacement almost 6 months ago and wow, has life improved! So hang on in there, it can only get better. Much better :-). 

Hope your op goes well!

Warm regards,

Alison 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I have been really bothered by heel pain and have tried everything..sheepskin, fleecy blankets, pillows but the absolute definitive answer is a pair of stretchy gloves as worn by medics, filled with water and then tied like a balloon. Now put the glove inside another glove and put it under your heels. Heaven.

• Posted

Wish Id heard of that before Kate mini water bed for your heels!

Linnet x

• Posted

You could also use a condom and i suppose a hot water bottle filled with cold water might do x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.