Waking up with very sore hands

Posted , 10 users are following.

Every time I sleep I wake up with very sore hands.

Is this normal and if you had this issue how did you solve it.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi, yes I regularly have the same issue. My daughter bought me some fingerless compression gloves that I wear to bed and I must admit they do work

• Edited

This is one of the symptoms of RA. I remember 4 yrs ago I used to have sore feet or sore hands especially stiff finger joints esp my wrists left or right. This condition was very painful making me unable to open my car door or twist the key in the ignition switch. Consult your doctor for suitable treatment.

• Edited

Hi Shelly W. I have the same problem with my hands, i cant bend my fingers, in fact it wakes me up through the night. I also have trouble lifting the kettles or dinner plates. They also ache like toothache and sometimes hot. i was told it was part of R.A. It was always in my knees ankle and feet, i guess its now moving to my hands. i was advised to try wearing splints when working. Hope this helps.

• Edited

Hey Shelly_

My experience with RA started with the suspicion that i was dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome so I continued to wear splints at night. These will keep your wrists straightened which might allow better circulation when sleeping. It isn't apparent but it's common for our wrists to bend which crimps the nerves that run through.

I wear mine just about every night and I think it helps.

Just a thought, maybe to help.

Good health to you!

EM

• Posted

You can buy compression gloves or you can get fitted for resting splints from the physio department ask your RA team about them

They do help

• Posted

I have had the same problems for months now. I could barely dress myself and perform other personal functions. I read someone posted about pineapple juice being good for inflamation so i have been drinking a small glass in the morning, i also wear a compression that goes around my wrist and i take prednisone. i'm not saying the pineapple juice has been a miracle cure but between these things it has become tolerable where before it was misery. i got my hand thing off amazon. good luck because this is so painful and i truly feel for you. so afraid every day that mine will come back full force like it was.

• Posted

hi Alice. if you're in the uk, ask your ra department for Isotoner compression gloves, they are amazing. i wear them every night and they really do help

• Posted

I didn't know they supplied these gloves as well, thought it was only splints 😕. They definitely help me

• Posted

I didn't Vanessa until they offered them to me. Worth an ask i'm sure

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Surely I will try pineapple juice. But we have to take the medicines aswell. Prednsolon is a steroid and has its side effects. I take it only for 2-3 days when the pain is severe otherwise I take any pain killer. Dont make it a habit.

• Posted

The biggest improvement i have experienced lately, is taking a soup spoon full of Manuka honey every morning. unbelievable results after two weeks. i have been struggling a lot lately with wrist and finger pain, and this, although expensive, is making a real difference. I would love to hear if this benefits anyone else. You can get it quite cheaply at Aldi

• Posted

I use to go through the same thing. Every morning I would wake up with stiff and sore hands, it would last for an hour or two. Throughout the day a couple of fingers from my left hand would also tingle, like the feeling you get when something falls asleep. I figured it was carpal tunnel and i was correct but my hands would still be sore and stiff in the mornings. Sometimes throughout the day. I was only 33 when i started having those problems so i didn't think it was RA. My doctor did a blood test which didnt tell him anything so he gave me a prescription for prednisone. After a couple of days my hands didn't hurt in the morning or any time during the day. I'm 41 now still have some problems with my hands but not as bad. Now the pain and stiffness is in my knees, hips and occasionally my ankles. I'm not on any RA meds, I'm afraid to take them because of all the different side effects but i need to take something so i will be making an appointment. Do your research and in the time being splints and gloves do help just takes getting use to sleeping with. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for the replies

I have contacted the rheumatology unit at my local hospital. I just have to wait on them calling me back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.