Walking barefoot?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I'm almost 7 weeks out from surgery, and I've been cleared to walk in sneakers/trainers, which is working out fine for me. I've done a little bit of walking barefoot, and it was making my foot very sore so I stopped. But now that I'm in sneakers instead of the walking boot, it's very annoying to constantly have to put the sneaker on and off, as I don't like wearing shoes in the house and of course I'm barefoot when I'm in bed at night. I completely forgot at my last appointment to ask my surgeon when I could safely walk barefoot, so I was wondering if anybody else can help me with this. When did your surgeon allow you to walk barefoot? Or when did you just start to walk barefoot without fear of doing damage to your foot?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Morning,

I remember it being painful to start with but it didn't take long afterwards to be able to go barefoot. Try and see if you can build up time being barefoot.

Good luck

Sally x

• Posted

Yes I'm thinking of building up time. I tried walking barefoot today just a short distance and I put more of my weight on the outer part of my foot, and it seemed okay. I just don't want to do undo any of the healing that's occurred.
  • Posted

I have found barefoot at 5 months uncomfortable as it causes pain in my heel so think I might be causing some damage, sticking to flip flops with underfoot support. 
    • Posted

I was worried about flip flops because of the piece that goes in between the toes. My surgeon advised sneakers, but I'm thinking if I find some kind of sandal with support it must be just as good. It seems like a lot of people on here are in sandals.
  • Posted

Yes I have sandals with support but I am 5 half months post op That I wear when out and about, flip flops for round the house but having had lapidus procedure having something between toes makes no difference.  What I find with flip flops is it makes me walk through the foot more and exercise my toes more.  At your stage I was still in a boot cast (until 13 weeks).  I would not be wearing anything but trainers or good support sandals at your stage.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.