Walking Issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i am 6 week post op TRHR in recovery, i have just come back from one of my weekly physio sessions at a rehab hospital. Feeling a bit dissopointed, they had me do some walking without my stick and my leg/ knee was bending inwards, she then strapped my knee up to give it more support but then this was causing more issuse in the hip joint and making me walk funny. She then tried a knee brace which also had the same effect, she is kind of stumped on what could be causing it, she suggested to wear some orthopedic shoes, i already have some so when i got home i tried and my leg is still not right. Just frustrated that this is the issue that is keeping me from waking un aided.

​Has anyone else had this issue?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nattie85

I feel it's still to early give yourself up into 12 weeks your body been through alot and takes time to heal. Keep doing exercises and walk take short walls and use cane really helps. Give yourself time to heal

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Nattie85

I too had problems with a funny gait, but my Physio said it would become right if I continued with my exercises. The best exercise for me was to hold onto the back of a chair then lift the leg backwards then out to the side and hold for 10 secs this improved the strength in my leg no end. I had my LTHR in Jan and am now walking without aids, obviously there is the odd ache when I have done too much but I can truly say there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Dont dispair as we all heal at different rates and depending on how much muscle wastage you had before the op.

Big hugs x

• Posted

Hi Nattie,  Oh dear ...that's not helping you ...  I agree with Jackie - 6 weeks is still early in recovery - Have you had your follow up appointment with your surgeon?I am not sure if forcing your leg into the "correct" position will help you walk without a limp ... does it hurt when you put your full weight on your leg? Maybe you can make an appointment with your surgeon and mention what you have beenj told by physical therapist - It does take time to ditch the pre-op walk - your body is used to find the way of least pain , but the pain is gone and now muscles (that are healing) are being put to work to keep you balanced - retraining your brain to walk correctly ...a lot is going on, sweetheart -  and it takes time - I still use a cane on and off and I am months post-op ---- just saying ! don't give up, walk with confidence, one step one day at a time -everything is okay  big warm hugrenee
  • Posted

Sounds like PT think you have a knee issue but it could just be part of your hip healing and you still need the support of a walking aid to be able to walk normally (especially if you don't have knee pain and if this doesn't happen when you are using your walking aid). As others have said give yourself more time.
  • Posted

I've posted several comments about knee and ankle pain after surgery. I never appreciated how much healing is needed and on multiple levels. Once we start walking more, our other joints have to start adjusting to the new hip, posture and gait. My knees felt it the most -esp in my operated leg, but both were affected to some degree.

I am a bit surprised that your PT was attempting this so soon but I imagine she hoped to avoid more domino effects developing.

As others have said, it is early days, listen to your body and do things within your abilities until you can crank it up more. The exercise that Debbie described was a good one for me; i also needed to work hard to be able to straighten and flatten my knee fully (IT band and ham strings were very, very tight and worked against the effectiveness of many exercises. I had to work quite hard to get these connective tissues to loosen and than many exercises became more feasible.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing - we learn from each other and I am geting my right hip done later this summet.

Cheers,

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.