WARNING! INTERACTION BETWEEN PROPRANOLOL AND MINOXIDIL (ROGAINE)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I was taking propranolol to help with anxiety.

Dosage was dependent on how bad anxiety was on any given day.

I was struggling with self-esteem, so visited a hair clinic for help with thinning hair.

One of the things that I was given by the clinic was Minoxidil 10%, which is a product

proven to help stimulate hair regrowth (see Rogaine). This product was applied to the

scalp twice a day, morning and night.

Within a few days of using the Minoxidil, I started to feel chronic fatigue, which literally

knocked me off my feet. I also went into a really deep depression.

Something was not right!

I took to Dr Google lol

Very quickly, I found that chronic fatigue and depressionare two symptoms of very low

blood pressure.

Fortunately, I own a BP monitor and took some readings.

My usual resting BP is around 115/80, so very healthy.

The average reading that I took this time was 97/69.

My BP had crashed, hence the onset of the above symptoms.

You may argue that 97/69 is still in the 'healthy range'

However, it is NOT healthy if my BP takes such a drop!

See below from the Mayo Clinic website:

"A sudden fall in blood pressure can be dangerous. A change of just 20 mm Hg — a drop from 110 mm Hg systolic to 90 mm Hg systolic, for example — can cause dizziness and fainting."

I discontinued the Minoxidil right away and felt a lot better the very next day.

Granted, that Minoxidil 10% is a stronger solution that the Rogaine 5% solution but that is what the

hair clinic gave me and I trusted them!

If you look up Minoxidil, it was developed as a treatment for high blood pressure, which I hadn't even

realised. I had even told the hair clinic that I was using Propranolol but they did not mention that there

could be any interactions!

Basically, I was using two separate BP medications!!

I just wanted to put this info out there, in case it helps anyone that finds themselves in the same predicament.

Best wishes and stay healthy,

Dave

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.