Waxing or Laser hair removal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have lived with LS since I was 16 (now 25). I have managed to stay on top of the flare ups however my skin is extremely sensitive around my vulva and my crotch. I am currently shaving once a week as I find my pubic hair irritates me but then I am also finding that I am getting terrible shaving rashes. I have never tried waxing as I am conscious that it might cause a flare up and extreme irritation but is this okay for some people? I am eager to get laser hair removal as I think this would be my best option, however, I am nervous to try it with this disease. Has anybody tried laser hair removal and had positive results?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi,

I am exactly the same, I'm going to speak my GP and see if waxing in an option. I know waxing doesn't give you that itching irritation when it grows back which might help but I'm not sure if waxing itself will make the symptoms worse or irritated the skin!

• Posted

I would neither shave nor wax because you irritate the basement membrane below the epidermis and that's one marker of inflammatory LS. The key is to tone down inflammation not to exacerbate it.

• Posted

Waxing is not recommended. The skin is not healthy and waxing has the potential to damage it.

• Posted

I used to get waxes before I developed LS and I would not recommend it with LS, not worth it. I tried to continue with waxing and my skin just got even more cut up.. I tried again when I thought I was managing my LS better, and it caused bleeding straight away still. I do find shaving irritating though too so following to see if anyone has experience of laser removal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.