We need help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

my brother had a motorcycle accident in Thailand & has ruptured his right eye & loss sight in same eye! But we have been given 3 different eye drops + a cream & after follow on appointment today, have given us 3 different ones, but because of language barrier,we need to find out if we can use all at once or need to stop using first batch!! 

Can anyone help?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Really sorry to hear about your brother. What a major bummer!

Not sure you'll get your answers without naming the drops. And the moderators may not like that here on Patient UK.

I strongly recommend you go back to the doctor with a good translator in tow and get it cleared up. I was in a hospital in Bangkok once and the quality of care was very high, so that at least should not a worry for you.

So here's the thing: If the first drop is a cortisone (steroid) drop, it's important NOT to use it longer than a few days – I think five or seven is the max. And steroid drops are very often the first port of call, so it is possible he meant that for the short term.

Or, if it is an anesthesic drop, that too should be used as little as possible –  like super rarely! I think that is just to tide you over very short periods of extreme pain. Anywhere else – including India, I may say – they would not let you take such drops home with you or give you a prescription for the anaesthetic one. But in the East you never know what they might do, especially if you asked for it.

But if your drops are not either of those two, it's probably fine to use all of them at different times of the day

I have extreme dry eyes and use five different kinds of drops and gels. My opthal told me in my case, it was good to use different drops, and having struggled with it for over a year, I find he is right and I have found a balance with my condition and the drops.

Your case might be very different, so do be wise!

What I did pick up from my Moorfields London Eye Hospital opth is that the eyes are largely self healing, and quick healing.

So take heart!

• Posted

Can you get home asap and see a consultant in your native country?or find a good travel rep with decent english??? Your poor brother,
    • Posted

Hi trip advisor we are due to fly home on 5/6/16, he couldn't fly home medically anytime before, as he pretty much fractured his whole face, had bleeding on the brain & problems with his lungs aswell as losing his sight in his right eye!! But we have had help from British embassy with translator, but we know they are busy and can only get to us at certain times.

thanks

• Posted

Ben, I am so sorry to hear that. It is true what they say , theres always somone goin through something a lot worse. Im not a Holy Joe but I do have faith, I will keep your brother in my prayers. People on this forum are very helpful so Im sure if anyone can throw any light on the meds etc. they will reply to you...sorry I cant be of more help, Ben.
  • Posted

Hi Ben, I hope things work out well for your brother.  All I can add, is that my eye drops tell me to leave at least 5 minutes between using the different drops.  And I would suggest using the cream last.

I hope you can find some help today, good luck.

• Posted

Try listing the drops for us & we'll see what happens!
  • Posted

Hi all thanks for replying, the first batch of eye drops were given to us as we left hospital on 18/5/16, which are:-

CEFTAZIDIME

CEFAZOLIN

ATROPINE

TOBRAMYCIN (once at bedtime)

& second batch of eye drops were given today 25/5/16 are:-

MOXIFLOXACIN

DICLOFENAC

FUSIDIC (once at bedtime)

apart from the 2 that says at bedtime, all the rest are 4 times per day, is that too much & can they be mixed?

Also the CEFAZOLIN Seems to have gone a darker yellow than started out!!!

• Posted

That's good Ben!

The Atropine dilates the pupil, which may also help with any pain.

The Diclofenac is an anti inflammatory.

The rest are antibiotics of one sort or another.  All drops should be kept in their original cartons, to protect them from light, which may explain the darker colour or the Cefazolin.

My Drops always say that I should use them at least 5 minutes apart, though in the clinic, they put them in one after the other!

Hope this helps you a little.

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying, does the colour change mean it can still be used as I read on google if they change don't use! It just so hard with the language barrier, maybe I'm just being too cautious.

thanks again

• Posted

Did they tell your brother to carry on using the drops from the first visit?

It almost looks as though they have updated the prescription on the second visit......I must add, I am not a doctor, just a patient who uses a lot of different eye drops.

Eye drops usually tell you to discard them 4 weeks after opening, I know that if it was me & I had no alternative, I would use the discoloured drops but, can you get a replacement?  

It is a good thing to be cautious Ben.

Do you have any idea when you may be able to come home?

• Posted

The five minutes apart does make sense... As one eye doctor put it to me, otherwise the second drop flushes out the first. So five minutes to take effect, basically.

Otherwise can you mix them? Normally eye drops are mixable, but why would you?  Keep the short time space between them so they can take effect.

See my reply up top. Looks like you may have missed it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.