Weaning off Pregabalin 75mg. Twice daily, but reduced to once . Feel like death warmed up .

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been weaning for about 4 months now. can get no further than one every other day . Doc now changed dose down to 50mg daily, as withdrawal symptoms are nasty. Started ok, now on 3rd day and symptoms back . Will these abate and what happens when I reduce further? Will withdrawal reappear? To make it worse the medication never did a thing for the leg nerve pain! Hate that I have to still be on a drug that is doing nothing for me . Any help or advise will be gratefully received.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Pregabalin has a very short half life and should therefore not be taken at a frequency of anything less than daily (ideally twice daily). Taking it every other day you will be having a mini-withdrawal every 48 hours.

Therefore, if taking 50mg daily, it should be 25mg twice a day. But if you were taking 75mg every other day, this is 37.5mg each day, so 50mg daily is updosing.. not reducing.

Three days is about the time it will take for your blood levels to even out on a drug of this half life which is why it has just happened now. The reason why is because any change will throw your system out, and the worst thing you can do is to keep changing dose and frequency during a withdrawal.

Go as far as you can whilst maintaining twice daily and only then drop to daily, but NEVER every other day.

My advice is to get yourself to 25mg TWICE DAILY and stick with that. It will take a good couple of weeks for the symptoms to calm down, so you will need to be tough. Then wait until you are stable before going further.

I have come off this drug before and it is a nightmare - you have my every sympathy.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Somewhat confused as the every other day was on my docs recommendation. I had worked down from 2 a day to 1 daily. Was told next progression was every other day . Because the withdrawal symptoms were nasty was reason for changing dose to 50mg. Have no clue what to do now, but I do know that starting taking this medication was the worst thing I ever did. Until I am off this I cannot get a different med for my night time hip/leg pain. Thanks again for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.