Weber c type bimalleolar ankle fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, i wanted to see if anyone has had a similar injury to me? weber c type bimalleolar ankle fracture with long comminution zone to the fibula and syndesmotic opening.

I am almost 3 weeks since surgery, where I had a plate, screws and pins fitted to help recovery. I am in a boot 24/7 and non weight bearing for 6 weeks.

I've had staples removed and the wounds seem to be ok so far. I've found the nights very difficult and real lack of sleep (maximum 30 to 60 mins in any one go). My foot isn't at a 90 degree angle in the boot and my heel seems to be the pressure point.

I'm 39 and have a wife and two young children, which is where I feel most frustration with myself, especially at this time of year, as I'm totally useless to them right now (and likely to be for many months).

Does anyone else have any experience of a similar injury and what my expectations should be in terms of recovery timescales?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

hi craig , i would like to offer you my insight for what its worth to you ,

i broke my ankle , a weber b fracture although it was close to a weber c really, mine was unsyable and at the time i had absolutely no idea what the injury was other then a broken ankle or the treatment options, i thought you just go to hospital and get fixed up, so in my case i was not informed by the consultant of my options of treatments and recovery ,

i broke my ankle 3 months ago and was put in cast , it was far to tight and i had it changed 3 weeks after it was put on, i then slipped a crutch and rebroke it! ! again i was not given any info or advise so i went into another cast ,

i wish i had been told at the beginning of the benefits of surgery and the pain a cast will give you,

i believe you are very lucky to have received surgery for the injury and you will be back on your feet 5-6 weeks from the day you had surgery , they have put you in a boot which is great !, no plaster cast ,, i had nothing but complications from casts,

i also have a young family and was off my feet for 3 months ,, i truly blame a incompetent self serving consultant

you will be fine and i reakon your be back in 6 weeks after the operation date , good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.