week one post op L5 shared fragment surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im not sure what to expect after leaving the hospital. So far so good, taking meds as i was taking in the hospital walking around the house only, but my right leg feels kind of weirded NO PAIN THANK GOD just feels like the muscles/nerves are tired. I still have the numbess tingling feeling in my right foot but i felt it itching and when the doctor touch the bottom of it as to tickle it i laugh cuz i felt that to a lil. So i dont know if thats good i hope so. How long does it take before total recovery just curious o know we all heal differently.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deejune, I'm 2 weeks post surgery and I had a 2 level fusion and decompression from L4-S1. I had had severe sciatica down my left leg on and off for 7 years and the last episode was 18 months.

I'm only taking paracetamol now, but was on oramorph, pregablin, naptoxen and tramadol.

I have been left with a numb left little toe, some pins and needles in my left foot and still waiting for my outer left calf to feel normal. It may never though as I had full nerve compression of my L5 nerve.

I'm swapping between laying, sitting and walking but in the last 2 days have started to take short walks outside.

Have you been given any physio information to follow? I've been given information of what I can do week by week. I'm hoping to drive soon and will be swimming at 6 weeks hopefully.

I've made a really good recovery and it's been heaven for the last 2 weeks to not have the awful sciatic pain.

Good luck with your recovery and make sure you get plenty of rest.

• Posted

Hi angie42070 glad to hear ur in week two and doing well. To be honest until i found this sight i feel so helpless and all alone (😢😥) i hate taking medicine i hate feeling high or not in control on me, but it sure beats the hell out of pain LOL. Im taking robaxin, oxytocin, percocets only when needed and stool softner. I just came home Thursday from hospital and will have a PT coming to the house hopefully starting next week first visit to PCP on the 24th and first post op visit with neo-surgeon on the 19th. In sitting here crying have no real support i love alone and have to do most things for self. So i have to toughing up and do what i can. I hate the pills makes me so darn sleepy a

Although rest is what i need. I just feel really scared

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're so dowm deejune. I'm the same had the siatica psin now for 14 wks.14 weeks of hell.Sleeping if u can call it that 2-3 hrs at a time on the settee.taking gabapentin ,marol (slow release tramodol), co-codamol, amatriptilon, ibrupofen and diazepam and oramorph when needed. Which is quite often.

also on omeprazol to protect my stomach and lactulose to help go the loo. Have tried chiropractor, physio, acupuncture without success. Waiting to hear from pain clinic about spinal injection and also about my pills don't want to be taking so many . just ones that work !!.have also been referred to a surgeon.

I cry with the pain most days.horrible as don't want my kids to see me like this as not nice for them.sick of waking with pain and going to sleep with pain without any let up. Just want it to go xx

• Posted

hi deejune, now the recovery period after spinal surgery, i.e. fused discs and decompresses discs is said to be two years, I know that sounds a long long time, but take each day and keep on the exercises, you will find it beneficial in the long run, I have been five months and feel like I'm getting there, but don’t try to rush things and listen to your physio and your body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.