Weight-bearing 2 weeks post surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffered a trimalleor fracture on 15 March 2022. I had to wait until 25 March for surgery to allow swelling to go down. I have a variety of screws in both sides of the ankle and a plate. After surgery I was put in a boot immediately, with instructions to be non-weight bearing for 2 weeks. The pain was initially awful but became manageable and I weaned off meds after a week. At my 2 week post-surgery appointment I was told I could do weight-bearing as comfortable, in boot, with the aim to move to full weight-bearing within 6 weeks. I've since really struggled, not so much with the pain, but psychologically. I'm hopeless on crutches and terrified of hurting myself again / further. I've also been reading around and note this is early to be weight-bearing (but there is research to suggest the approach is beneficial). Interested in any feedback from those who have experienced similar.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Toria

I just noticed your post and wondered how you have got on since.

I also sustained a trimallelor fracture on 20th May with surgery done on 23rd May, plate and screws on outside and screws inside.

Like you, I attended my 2 week check and was surprised to get the cast off and fitted with a boot. I was told I could partially weight bear and I will be reviewed at the 6 week mark.

After my initial pleasant surprise at getting a boot so early I have been struggling to fit the boot properly.

My heel is always stuck just above the sole of the boot and lifts when I move around.

It's frustrating!

• Posted

Hey im just womdering how you are doing ? 5/20/23 I sustsined a bimalleor fractute. I had surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I just wanna walk again. Im missing the whole summer

• Posted

Hi there. So you had your fracture same day as me - 20th May '23.

Mine was a trimallelor meaning I had 3 breaks.

It sounds like your surgery took place afew weeks after your accident? Why was that?

I had my op 3 days after the accident ( I fell off my bicycle for the first time ever and had never broken a bone until now).

I completely understand how you're feeling. It's so scary coming to terms with the trauma, surgery and recovery ahead. I'm a fairly fit 55-year-old and have been attending pilates, yoga, and gym sessions as well as walking and cycling up to my accident. I'm missing my routine so much but the worst for me has been losing independence and relying on my poor hubby for everything - I thank God for him every day. We used to spend most of the weekend with 2 young grandsons taking them out cycling etc. and it has broken my heart to have transformed into a sick granny who is resting up each time they visit and only able to chat/tell stories.

However I try to remind myself that this shall pass and I will get better each week.I tell myself that they are young and won't always remember me like this. I'm at the 6 week mark now and able to get around the house on crutches partially weight bearing with an airboot for the last 4 weeks. I shall see the consultant this Friday and maybe he will give me the ok to fully weight bear which will be another step on the road towards walking well but a bit scary too.

I started seeing a Physio this week and she has reassured me that I should get back to my classes, albeit with some modifications to some poses e.g child's pose. I have missed a couple of trips away but am hoping to be able to still go on a planned city break to Spain at end of September. I am doing some ROM exercises with my ankle and have been keeping up with upper body training using dumbells while sitting. Next up is giving my recovering foot some TLC by daily massaging and applying bio oil to my scars. Think this will help circulation and swelling.

I think you mentioned you have young children which must be hard for you. I hope you have been able to call on family or friends for support. Hopefully you're relatively young and will heal quick. This is a big challenge for us but I believe we will come out the other side stronger, physically and mentally. I know I'll never take my health for granted ever again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.