Weight gain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am on Pregabalin for fibromyalgia. I started 4 weeks ago with 25mg a day. Now I am on 100mg a day. My weight has gone up fast leaving me feel very swollen and bloated. Has anyone else had this problem? Don't want to stop them incase it has nothing to do with these tablets.

aabb

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have been put on 300mg a day, and my weight has shot up too, by nearly a stone, I am definitely thinking of tryingto reduce the levels, now things are more stable in my personal life
    • Posted

That's terrible eh. It's something I don't want to happen. I am going to give it another week or two and if I still put weight on then I am stopping these tablets. I would rather go back to dealing with the pain than having more problems now. It's so frustrating isn't it. 

Aabb

• Posted

I hate to disagree with everyone, but I have actually toned up after taking 300Mg a day for a month.....I feel so much better that I'm able to have an active life....Claire, have you thought that your life is more stable because you aren't having so much pain?  (Just saying)
    • Posted

Can I ask if you exercised to tone up? Sounds as though it's been great for you.

aabb

• Posted

I am trying to get the weight down by exercising at the gym.   It could be possible that I'm too quick to blame Pregabalin as I've been struggling with unemployment recently, so do tend to comfort eat a lot, but the jury is rather out at the moment.   It may be my age, peri-menopausal etc.  Certainly I've never seen the pounds pile on this quickly in my life.  Am a user of the Sobell Leisure Centre in Finsbury Park, London N4, if anyone wants to join me by the cross trainer etc!

• Posted

hi claire i would almost say its definately pregablin see my answer to abb, i think that taking pregab makes you crave various 'wrong' foods and then when your mood drops the nedd for chocolate etc intensifies. 

The longer you are on it the harde it is to come off.

• Posted

That's exactly how I have been feeling Liz23617. The food cravings, sweets cakes etc which is not like me. I am defo coming off these tablets. I am on 100mg a day which I only feel a slight difference but I would rather get back to the way things were before I started them than have only slight differences and weight gain and craving and feeling depressed because of all the new problems. I don't want to add to my problems I want to get better! 

Aabb

• Posted

Hi Abb i have fibromyalgia for 10 years and have gone through every medication out there i am currently on pregablin 3x150 i should be on 3x225 a day but have reduced them myself due to the awful weight and size gain. In 2 years i have gone up 4 dress sizes and it doesnt look like stopping, i dont think they are working but the dr wont take me off as they have nothin to replace it with.

Currently the pain is unbearable, i also have osteo arthritis in both knees which are so so painful. but the consultant wont operate on me due to the reaction i am likely to get afterwards. ie the 'normal' pain explodes and would take longer to reduce than 'normal'

if you have not gone through all the variants of meds out there go and see your dr and try something else.Good luck

• Posted

I put on two stone and felt as though i was going to burst taking pregabalin, that was six months ago and i just cut down on all the goodies i ate. Gradually im nearly a size 12 and feeling more thinner and less bloated.I asked to get gp to change meds but thats the only one which helps with my nerve pain x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

I've been on Pregabalin since Feb 11th this year & my weight has also gone up & yes I feel bloated too! Are you still on it & have lost the weight by just cutting down on the wrong foods?

Thanks Jo x

• Posted

Hi I have been on pregab for 2 years and was up to 375 ml I have banged an emense amount of weight on and have friends also that have, and I definately know it is the pregab, I tried everything to loose weight except eating the grass in the garden, I made a decision after reading up about another drug called topamax again it is personal choice, I am not going to pretend it has and will not be hard 

but I have to try, because like you I have fybromyalgia and I know how debilitating it can be but with support and understanding from others it helps a lot ,

• Posted

I was on lyrica before mixed with prozac and never gained weight but have been put on Lyrica again, alone this time as I came off the antidepressents and have noticed more weight gain than normal sad Should I be worried? Is it from the Lyrica??
  • Posted

I have put on alot of weight recently, dont know whether its because of the Lyrica (I was on a low dose before mixed with antidepressent and never gained) or from withdrawing from my antidepressent but side effect is weight gain
  • Posted

i am taking 300mg and to be fair, my weight has increased, however so has my appetite! maybe this is the cause?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.