Weight gain with DVT

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced actual weight gain with blood medications?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've been on warfarin since February, I've not gained weight but need to lose it and finding it VERY difficult.  
    • Posted

Ooh that doesn't sound very good Janish. Will the doc put you on any kind of exercise programme at your local gym or anything? I hope you find an answer to this. I must admit most of my adult life I've been a size 10 or 8 in clothes until I got my DVT problem 6 months ago. In that time I've gone up to a size 14 and still growing I think. I feel like I'm about to explode. I am beginning to think that I may just follow gut feeling on this and go all out and exercis as much as I can possibly take. Docs seem to be unsure what to tell, so hell, why not. Good luck. x 
  • Posted

Hiya Karen

Just saw your discussion.

Ive been on Warfarin since June last year, have put on weight but think this is due to my inactivity.  I've been told I have PTS (Post Thrombotic Syndrome) and find exercise difficult, I'm also off work at the moment so this all attributes to my weight gain.

I have heard from other people that weight gain is a common occurrence when on Anticoagulants and they've found it hard to loose the gained weight - sorry.

Have a word with your GP, they'll be best to advise you.

Hope you get well,

Llyr

• Posted

Many many thanks for your reply. At the moment, after 6 months, my stomach is still slightly swollen, so unable to exercise until next stomach scan. I know it's not all swelling, there is an amount of weight gain too, from being unable to move for the first 3 months, so natural I guess. PTS is something else Im looking into, as im sure this may have occured. Its so annoying isnt it to be running around at 100 miles an hour one day, then that's it...no more exercise. I'm beginning to look like the marshmallow man from ghostbusters. Haha

I hope you get better real soon.

• Posted

My problem is most probably due to inactivity, in addition to DVT both my knees are bad and walking, at times, is very difficult. I was also told I had PTS.  I'm hoping I'll be able to stop taking warfarin soon so then maybe I can have my knees sorted, start exercise and lose weight!
  • Posted

Hi, I've only been taking warfarin since January and I am noticing weight gain, despite remaining active and not eating more.  It's going on at 1-2lb per month.  I'm feeling bloated with fluid.  I am having some blood tests tomorrow morning to try and shed some light on it.  I'll let you know.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Ive been to see heamatologist today..all blood tests normal but apparantly lack of correct info and proimary care in the beginning means I now have PTS. Blood tablets and compression stockings for life now, so not happy. I thought things were wrong in the beginning...yes it was all wrong advice and not enough diligence. Sorry is the word of the day!!

• Posted

It's really bad. I'm sorry you were not properly looked after, it's all very worrying. I've had pain in my leg since yesterday, think I'll try to see GP tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.