Weight loss expectations from anyone who's had gastric band surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I'm due to go for a second consultation next week with the hospital group, who have an op available in Birmingham on the 16th August.  I'm boarderline with a BMI of 30 and looking to lose 3.5 stones in total but I have heard you don't lose it all.  Please could those who've had the op advise of the realistic weight loss and what you lost?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I lost 9 stone with my band I did have a BMW of 40 though. They can be very successful but you still need will power too.
    • Posted

Thanks Rach, do you ever regret it or is it still the best decision you've made?  Does it continue to be hard work or an issue to live with even after losing the weight?
    • Posted

I was hoping you weren't going to ask that. Unfortunately for me 13 months in my band slipped and started to corrode my stomach, so I've since had a bypass, please don't let that put you off though, if the only choice I had was to have another band I would.

Anyone who says weight loss surgery is an easy option they couldn't be more wrong, it's life changing yes you HAVE to change your eating habits but you also have to change your way of thinking too. You know that thought you get when eating the best meal you've EVER had? That damn I'm full but gonna eat it anyway? Well you still think like that, well I do lol but it's impossible to finish that AMAZING meal so your mind has to change as well as eating habits.

Weightless surgery is great.

I heard a lady once say I'm disappointed with my weight loss blimey I can cheat so much with my band, why spend all that money and cheat??

It's not a magic wand but it'll be as closer one you'll get if you work at it xx

• Posted

I had my band fitted privately in jan this year. Like you i had 3 1:2 stone to

Lose. Lost a stone on the hideous preop diet.

I know lots of people who have had great success with their band, but also lots with problems.

It took months to get any sort of restriction at all with fills, and once i got a bit of restriction it only lasted a few days. So you are working entirely on will

Power untill you reach that sweet spot and get the right fill. Unfortunatly mine has not worked at all. I have 11ml in a 10ml and have now put the stone back on 😞 as i have no restriction and feel as if i have no band at all. My port has now moved so cant even be checked. Im going back in for the 3rd time for an op to see whats going on.

Think ive been unlucky and am so jealous of the ladies who have lost lots.

If i had my time again i would have had the sleeve or bypass.

• Posted

Hi Adele, I had my op with 3 and a bit weeks ago. My BMI was 41 so weight loss surgery was a good option for me due to health issues. I'm 32. I lost 7 pounds on the pre op diet and 7 pounds in the 2 weeks after.

My experience was good, all the staff were just brilliant. Dr kept telling me I was doing the right thing and was so reassuring. The pain after was like being seriously winded and I needed heavy pain killers although they only gave me capol! Thankfully the anaesthetist gaveme morphine before I woke up! I stayed in over night because of the pain but was walking around ok by the evening.

After day 5 I started getting sick of bloody cup a soups and my hunger came back. I'm on most foods now except really tough foods. I've found that soft pasta makes me feel sick and so does bread but no restriction. When I'm eating I find at a point I feel indigestion so I stop so I don't force my band down. After about 2 hours after a reasonably sized meal I'm starving again! My hubby had a gastric band fitted the same day and has been the same although he has had some food stuck and vomited this week.

Both of us have lost less weight than we hoped and this last week weve stayed the same. We have a fill soon and are hoping for some restriction! At the moment we're really dieting and relying on willpower!

On a plus note I'm pretty much back to normal no pain and I went swimming yesterday. I also had a few glasses of wine this week smile

I don't regret it at all and actually I'm happy I don't have terrible symptoms when eating. I heard that the Dr places the band in a slightly lower position to prevent those symptoms. I'm also glad I didn't have a bypass. I know a woman who 18 months after still can't eat hardly a thing, her hair is falling out and she looks really poorly. At least with the band it's reversible and adjustable!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!!

• Posted

Hello, I had my band fitted in April. I have about the same to lose as you and so far I've lost almost a stone and a half. It's not easy but in my opinion it has been worth it for me. I've just been for a fill today and I'm upto 5ml. Good luck wink x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.