Weight loss, personality change

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I am new to these forums.

Since around May or June I have lost about 45 pounds. It is hard to see since I am over weight. I went from 269lbs down to 220-225lbs. I did not realize I had lost that weight since I was not able to go to the dr. due to the pandemic. I am a veteran so I go to the VA. Last August I had went to the ER because I had two episodes in which I had passed out. They weighed me and that is when I noticed the weight loss. They did some lab work and other tests such as a CT scan of my abdomen and head but nothing showed up

The personality change has just started in the past month or so according to my family.

They did a colonoscopy but did not show anything. The VA is finally starting to open back up here so they want to do an upper GI but I have not heard from scheduling regarding this.

I have been talking to my therapist who is going to get another CT scan of my head due to the personality changes. I am 51 years old and live with my parents due to other mental health issues in the past. Back in the past they did shock treatments so my memory has always been bad but it is getting worse.

So my questions are:

Can the onset of dementia and Alzheimer's cause sudden weight loss?

Plus what are some other tests that I can see about having done. I am having trouble with the VA getting things done.

Thank you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.