Weightloss team referral confused

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello

I apologise if this is in the wrong discussion I am really just looking for some advice.

My gp as reffered me to the weightloss team at the hospital and I am slightly confused as to what this intails. Does it mean am going to get help to loose weight naturally with help or am I a step closer in getting a gastric band I really don't no.

I have tried all diets even the fad ones as you do and at first they work but then the weight just comes back on plus more I am 5ft 5 weight 19st 4 bmi 44.8 a d it's fair to say am struggling a lot my back my knees my breathing only done it to myself I know but drastic action needs to be taken now.

Anyway thanks for reading any Info on the referral process would be appreciated.

Take care claire

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

you generally have to jump through many hoops to get wgt loss surgery on the nHS so this could be the start of the system which will eventually lead to you being referred to a bariatric surgeon but in the mean time i think it will be to assess your eating habits and see how commited you are to a wgtloss programme cos even with a band (or any othe type of wgt loss surgery) it is not a magic wand and will not make you lose wgt unless you work with it - it is merely a tool to lose wgt and before they spend lots of money of the surgery they will need to know if it is suitable for you or if another type of surgery would be better or perhaps surgery is not the best route for you at all - i self funded my gastric band surgery so i am not totally au fait with the NHS system but i do know of people who have and i know it can be a long process - best thing to do is ask when you get that first appointment and find out where it is likely to lead - good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply it's answered my question is know it is a long process and it is a full lifestyle change and big commitmentand it something I have thought about over a period of a few years so hopefully this is a gud step in the right direction.

Thanks again

• Posted

i AM sure it is a step in the right direction - i think part of the process is to make sure you are ready for it mentally/emotionally as well as physically - it is a big step to take and not one to go into lightly - and i think part of the process is to ensure the money the NHS invest in you is not wasted but overall it will save the nHs money as you will not develop wgt related helath probs in latter yrs - like you say def a lifestyle change and big commitment and you might find more info at WLSinfo or at a support group where you can chat to people face to face which is often helpful
  • Posted

I am a 7 year band failure I am not looking into having a removal then bypass. Do as much homework as you can I've been told that most hospitals are taking bands out at a rate off 1/2 a week ! I'm not saying don't have it I have a friend who has done well on it but your life will be very different so all I'm saying is talk to people then talk some more don't think it's a magic cure it's not just be sure you know what you are doing
    • Posted

Hello

I know it's a big commitment and huge step I have done loads of research and spoke to some ladies who I know who have had this done I have thought about it on and off for years now and it really is something I am prepared to do I am slightly anxious about the process but no more so than how anxious I feel now when people stare thank you for your reply.

Take care

• Posted

Do I or don't I that is my question my op date is imminent for bypass surgery however so many people are saying I'm fine how I am, I'm 15st 7lb, size 22.  I have been planning for this for the last 18 months, now I'm not sure.  My husband is happy the way I am and is a fantastic cook and looks forward to us enjoying meals.  We have a very full social calendar both of these will be effected.  Do I go through it just to be a few sizes small.  My general health is fine, no medication taken, but that would also change.  I'm in a pickle what to do!!

• Posted

I would say it is quite normal to get last minute colly wobbles but whether you go ahead should have nothing to do with how other people say you are or whether your husband is happy with you - its to do with how YOU feel - nobody knows how you feel inside and neither have they walked in your shoes so do not know of whatever struggles you may encounter either now or in the future - your social calendar will be affected for a short while till you recover from your op but if wgt loss surgery is going to give you  a better quality of life and more satisfaction with regards to your size and wgt overall then i would say this is a small price to pay and only a temporary hitch in any case - i think you need to look towards the long term picture and what it will be like if you remain with your current size (and consider whether you are likely to remain there or are you likely to gain wgt) or do you put up with a few inconviences whilst you recover and put the social life on hold for a few mths.  You can still enjoy your husbands cooking but in smaller amounts however it is a big decision and it you are definitely having doubts then it might be better to postpone your op until you are decided one way or the other - good luckj 
  • Posted

Hi I am in the system . Like you tried every diet finally my gp referred me to a weight management course called morelife . Included a phscologist dietitian they teach you another way to think about food during the 20 wk course they like you to loose 5% weight loss then maintain i had to complete all classes they then send a report to your gp about your commitment. It's great class everybody in the same boat. I have diebetes so gastric surgery will reverse this. Gp then with the letter refer you to hospital I am in Essex so the local obesity clinic is luton and dunstable. 1st appointments basic weight height blood tests the the general surgery doctor who decides to refer you further. This is where I am now Nov was fist appointment next is April then anethetist and surgeon and a date. I started the whole process in June. It's a very long road but slowly getting g there I am having bypass.

Hope this helps good luck

• Posted

Hello

That is so helpful thank you I just didn't know what the next next was so was very confused the gp as reffered me so now am just waiting on first Appt so hopefully here's to the first step of on to a better future and quality of life.

Hope all goes well with yours

Take care

• Posted

Hi Debbie, im also in essex, ive been approved for surgery but having mine done at the homerton in london, ive done the group session, dietician, bloods and ecg, just waiting on a date now.
  • Posted

Hi Claire, I agree with Bandid, the hospital weight loss team, will assess your eating habits and will encourage you to lose weight to see how committed you are. The bariatric surgeons are favouring the bypass and sleeve over the band as they give better long term results. I had a bypass in November 2014, I was very apprehensive, but can honestly say it was the best thing I have ever done and I've no regrets. I was 17st 10lb and a size 22/24, I'm now 10st 7lbs and a size 12, my chronic asthma and diabetes has gone and I feel great. I still go out for meals but choose wisely and eat smaller portions. There are still some foods that I can't tolerate but I just avoid them and focus on what I can eat and I don't feel as if I'm missing out. Do your research as everyone has a different experience and some people's journeys have been easier than others. Find out as much as you can good and bad then you can make an informed decision about whether or not you have the operation. Good luck on journey.
    • Posted

Wow fantastic results I think I was just a little unsure on what the next step was after the referral I knew I had a long journey ahead of me and would have to show my comitment but it is something I really would like it hasn't been an easy decision I thought about it over the last few years and in that time gained another 2 stone shocking really.

Could I ask pls in a nutshell now I have been reffered what's the chances of been accepted for a bypass I know everyone is different x claire

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.