Went hiking too soon?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I tore my lateral meniscus pretty badly when I was pregnant last year. It was a whole year before I finally saw a doctor and had an MRI revealing the multiple jagged tears. I had surgery on March 7th, only removal of the torn part (no stitches). My recovery was slow and I had a lot of swelling but I'm in fairly good health and normal weight. I did physical therapy religiously. After surgery, even though I was still working on range of motion and strength a lot, the pain was gone! But then a month after surgery my husband and I and our friends had the brilliant idea to go on a 3 mile hike! It felt awesome during, but the last month ever since it has been sore. I had two cysts before, are they flaring up? I had some arthritis too, could it be that? Will it ever go away? I feel the pain in the meniscus area but it doesn't feel like I re-tore it or anything, it's kind of getting worse too. I'm so frustrated because I went a whole year with the tear and now it feels like I'm back to square one when I really thought it was fixed! Anyone overdo it after arthroscopy, but then it healed up ok?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Mmmm sorry I haven't got anything positive to add....

I had my op in October 2014, very little pain or swelling, started walking straight away.I tried running after 3 weeks which didn't go too badly.

The Sunday before I went back to work after a month, I went for an 8 mile walk, the middle bit being very uneven and my knee started feeling sore so the walk home was quite painful.

After that it went downhill as far as my knee is concerned.

It may be my own fault as my physio had said take my time and do the exies.

At the present I can still walk 6-8 miles and my knee gives me less grief if I do no exiles.

Cycling also helps.

If I have it done again, I'll do as I'm told

Good lunch k

• Posted

Arthritis is a very tricky puppy! I had a medial meniscus scope and too was pain free and back to normal very quickly.  However, within a couple of years knee pain very consistent regardless of activity level. They did the synvisc injection which put me into excruciating pain for weeks.  Told me then I'd be looking at partial knee replacement, as nothing can repair cartilage damage due to arthritis.  I think we expect the arthritis to progress very slowly, but at times it doesn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.