Went in for a Hip Replacement and left with a Stomach Ulcer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good evening all. I am 6 days post op of a total hip replacement - left side. Discharged from hospital today as I've now got a stomach ulcer due to continuation of a certain pain killer (can't remember the name) that has inflamed my stomach lining. They have now started me on PPI treatment having to take omepazon 40mg per day. I feel so sickly and tired and weak. Any advise? I feel that these tablets are slowing my recovery time. I dont fancy eating or drinking. Lost my appetite and basically feel sick and miserable. I was wondering if any one else has experienced this.

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melinda,sorry to hear about your problems,you need to find out the name of the pain killer this is important,for future Hip Hoppers,I too and I know many others had problems with pain killers,sickness,and not eating or drinking,so please find out and let us know,and look after yourself, Best Wishes and Love Michael.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this Melinda. I've got other issues after my hip replacement but not the same as you. As difficult as it is you need to keep your fluids up so you don't get dehydrated. I know there are drinks they give in hospital to people who have lost their appetite, fruity type drinks. These contain calories and nutrients to help build you up. I would ask your doctor for a change of medication. These ones clearly don't agree with you and are making you worse. I hope you're feeling better soon and begin to get the benefit of your new hip. You don't need this but one day it will all be a distant memory. Wishing you all the very best in your recovery.

Pat

• Posted

Good morning pat

Thanks for the encouraging words. I got discharged yesterday therefore I'm unable to ask for the fruity drinks. I'm now eating porridge.... As I haven't yet taken my medication.

• Posted

I didn't have a stomach ulcer but the drugs made my hiatus hernia worse (which I got shortly after my first hip op 15 years ago). I put it down to all the morphine and anti inflammatories. A was on lanzaprole while taking aspirin for 6 weeks after the op and was ok, but  after finishing  it gradually  came on and am now taking esomeprazole for a month - 3 months after the op.

It did settle after the first op although I have had bouts over the years and I have to be careful what I eat and don't eat late at night. In this bout I have had a tremendous amount of gas in the stomach especially at night and have had a lot of gurgllng in the oesophagus - neither very pleasant but they are improving. I still have an appetite though but am wary of eating too much. I'm hoping like last time it will gradually get better.

I found certain foods make it worse - full fat cheese, chocolate, spicy foods are the worst. Eating late is definitely bad you need to try to have an empty stomach at bedtime.

One good thing if you are propped up on your back at night it will minimise any acid reflux!

Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

Hi annedi

Thanks for sharing your story. I am 7 days post op and think that I can cope without morphin. The pain is still there however I am scared of all the side effects of morphin and all the other pain killers, anti inflammatory tablets will have.

What do you think? I'm actually feeling to not take the omepazon today as I hate the sickly feeling

• Posted

I only had the morphine in hospital on the drip for the first day, followed by paracetomol, codeine and a day or so of tramadol. When I came home  I was just on paracetomol and codeine along with the low dose dispersible aspirin and lanzaprole. I try not to take ibuprofen but do use the gel. Otherwise just paracodol.

it will be best for you I would think to get the stomach inflammation down especially if there is an ulcer. There are different proton pump inhibitors. Perhaps you just don't get on with the one you are on. I would go to the docs and try another one.

• Posted

Dear Melinda, 

I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly - interesting that they discharged you while you still have these problems - were you given any other pain medication?

Not having an appetite, feeling weak etc. can also be the aftermath of your surgery ... I, for one, was very emotionally and feeling blue - on and off - 

How are you doing otherwise ... I remember you being very apprehensive about tis surgery ... it helps when you share your experience - doesn't have to share it here with us, but you can -  we have been there ....

how is the baby? do you have any help/

be very gentle with your self - 

big warm hug -

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

How are you? I'm well thank you. I was very scared pre op however I don't think it is as bad as I thought. I'm really sore and in mild to moderate pain.

I didn't take no pain killers last night and really proud of myself. How's things your sides? Your health? Do you know if there is any restrictions in terms of sleeping? I'm now 7 days post op. I can sleep on my non operative side with and without a pillow. Can I now try it with my operative side?

Thanks for all the advise

• Posted

Good morning melinda -

How are you feeling ?  you are really early in the healing stages, so yeah, soreness and some pain will be there -

I had staples and couldn;t sleep on operated side for a long time - it just was uncomfortable and painful, even after staples were removed -  

can't really remember when, but it was after my 6weeks post op visit - 

maybe you can call your surgeon regarding the medication and ask what you should do - to just take and then not take, or less, anything different from what he prescribed, might work against your healing - side effects, withdrawel etc .... they really need to know what you are doing with your meds, especially if you have a stomach problem ...

Have my appointment this morning for 2nd THR ...

feel better sweetheart

warm big hug

renee  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.