What ages are you people with full achilles tendon ruptures?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I ruptured my right achilles tendon 11 days ago whilst playing a football game, ends 7mm apart...nothing too special about the injury..apart from the fact I'm only 15, and very sporty. I keep getting told that "I'm one for the books" because I'm so young. by my doctors, and they aren't going to operate on me as I have my age on my side and should heal just fine in a cast for 8 weeks...so I'm just curious as to what ages this generally happens to?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just shows what a nasty sneaky injury this one is... sorry to hear that steph, but from the skateboarding and mountain bike injuries I've seen my nephew recover from... you'll be back sooner than most of us, if you follow orders! I'm 66, pretty active at the gym and waling, had a very similar rupture of the left tendon.. felt weird to feel about the same hap where there shouldnt be one. Healed fine in the about 8 weeks, but muscle condition loss and nerve damage has taken much longer to recover from. 18 months later its pretty much ok, about 90% strength
  • Posted

If I was you I would demand the operation age or not its well more safer to have surgery than to not the re rupture rate is 27 % non surgical to 3 % surgical route
  • Posted

Steph, I completely agree with the response about demanding surgery! I was 23 when I ruptured mine, which is still young. I had surgery a week after the injury and the main reason I chose surgery instead of the non suergical route was because I wanted to play sports again. I was informed that if I were 45, 50 + and not as active non suergical would be okay. There is a much, much higher rate of re rupture for those who dont have surgery. Reading your message, makes me ache, that your medical personal are saying not too. Pls do some research. I know about 3 others who did not have surgery and they have no idea how it healed. They also have very poor range of motion, and are not able to jump very high or come up on that foot.

I am able to do all. Pls pls pls think about your options your too young to go through it again.

Erika

• Posted

Steph - From what I have read....and I have read many medical studies.....Non-surgical route has been shown to be just as effective as surgery providing that early movement/weight bearing takes place within 3-4weeks of being in a cast AND the rupture was partial.

For a complete rupture the evidence I have seen indicates surgery especially if under 50 and requiring a good push-off etc for sport - is the best route.

Suggest you strongly challenge their advice. This is your future...

• Posted

I've been hearing this response a lot about the surgery, but I live in New Zealand and it's very uncommon for this injury to be operated on

• Posted

I did wonder where you were in the world; there does seem to be no absolute this is the only best way to treat this; i was told if it doesnt heal we always operate later; i don't know if NZ has the same approach? You have the amazing healing power of youth on your side, hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Yeah, if it doesn't start healing after 6 weeks in a cast then obviously they're going to have to operate, and also if it re-ruptures then they will operate on it also. Thanks☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.