What are my options

Posted , 3 users are following.

Not posted for a while but my problems have continued to grow. Already had two back surgeries, 07 Microdisctomey and 2012 Microdisctomey and Laminectomy.

Ended up in hospital last October with horrendous spasms and finally got sent for another MRI.

This showed up quite a few issues. Firstly, I have no discs left from L5/S1 to L1/L2. Compounded by multi-level Lumbar Lordosis and multi-level Spondylothesis.

I have been attending the pain management clinic, had one lumbar injection which made things worse. I'm now on BuTran 10mg patches as well as diazepam, amitriptyline, ibuprofen, paracetamol all in high doses.

I visited my surgeon in February when things had settled a little but they have been going downhill fast for the past 3/4 months. I'm due to see him again, hopefully within the next 6 weeks as he wanted to see me before it got to last Octobers stage again.

My question really is, what are my surgical options? He has mentioned that he would consider surgery but didn't give great % of success and failure. More along the lines of 60% same or worse and 40% same or better. Doesn't fill me with hope.

What have people in the same position had done or what other options do I have.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just need to get my head around options before I speak to my surgeon again.

I'm in Glasgow so my surgeon is Mr Anthony Reece.

Thanks

Scott

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scott,

I'm so sorry for all you're going through--the pain runs your life day and night.  I have had two back operatons, most recently for lumbar spondylolisthesis and kyphoscoliosis.  I am a senior citizen in America.  I would strongly suggest you seek another opinion both for your condition, future outlook and pain prevention. To me a second opinion for your situation is vital, even if you return to your original doctor you will have peace of mind in knowing you sought more advice.   Good luck and prayers.  Keep us posted.

Marcie  

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately I have had a second and third opinion and both are in agreement with my surgeon. It's just a matter of how I progress forward either with pain medication or operation.

Thanks again.

PS What procedures did you have for your conditions?

• Posted

Hi mrcia,

What part of the USA are you? I'm in Connecticut, hope all is well.

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Scott,

Did they mention a fusion? I had it done same problems like you, I'm almost 2 weeks post op from the spinal cord stimulator. I ended to try something, but I'm still in pain, I know they say it takes time but I just feel confused n upset thinking did I do the right thing? I had my fusion done 17 years now, I was a failed one because the Dr before I got a second opinion, didn't believe me that my left leg was numb and felt like it was in a fire, I'm waiting to see how this works out, but I still feel this pain in my back that feels like 2 disc are rubbing or on each other, they did do a prp procedure which did nothing, still its a tough road, so take it easy and discuss with Dr what he thinks that will help you out better.

Best of luck

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, I'm in Scotland, Glasgow. Not as advanced in technology as the US or OZ. Yes, fusion has been mentioned but it's multiple levels. IF they decide to do so.

Regards

Scott

• Posted

Scott,

And here I thought Scotland would be more ahead of us, well I L5 to S1 fused back in 1998, of course like I said it failed because the first doc didn't listen to me and by I got to 2nd opinion it was to late, I'm so sorry about the delay, well nervo senza was induced before us, we had a older medtronics were u feel the tingling and all that jazz almost 2 weeks and still feeling horrible, I feel like I am stuck in bed cause of the pain, keep us updated on what the decide to do.

Take care, and I wish we were all pain free

Cindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.