What are the chances of becoming pregnant by this?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Sorry if this is a little long, but just want to explain my current worries. I have health anxiety and have a tendency to analyse things in detail.

I'm in my early 20s and in a long-term relationship. My partner and I rarely have sexual intercourse for a variety of reasons: one or both of us is often stressed, he has lower than average sex drive, and I think more than anything we just get out of the habit. I have thought about being put on the pill or getting an IUD fitted, but considering how rarely it would be needed, I didn't because I didn't want hormones pumping in my body everyday for no reason or have an IUD causing me heavier and more painful periods for no reason. We've only had sex twice this year so you can see what I mean. We just use condoms for now. We would like a better sex life and if we commit to it, I will most certainly get another method.

OK, so the last time we had sex was early November. I had my period the week before. I am very strict with condom use as its our only method. I never let our genitals touch before it goes on. They are stored in a cool dry place, no damage and haven't expired. The condom stayed on the entire time and my partner says it didn't slip or spill and he only took it off only when he was in the bathroom. Sorry if this sounds gross but I always check the condom after sex by filling it with water. At least this way I know if there are any holes (and if there are, to get the morning after pill). I checked it this time, filled it with water, moved it around, bounced it a little, and no leaks. So we know it didn't break either.

However, I am on day 40 of my cycle. It is basically considered 'late' going by my average, but my period can be a little irregular. On average a regular period for me might arrive somewhere within the 28-35 days window, averaging at around 30-34. However, at least 2-3 times a year, I get 'off' periods which may arrive anywhere from 36-56 days, so for example earlier this year I had a 40 day cycle, and last year I had a 42 day cycle, 38 day, etc. In a way I feel like I am 'due' an irregular one because the only one I've had this year is the aforementioned 40 day one. I think stress is often the culprit but not sure.

The last big pregnancy scare I had was two years ago - and I didn't get my period until 48 days! Part of me feels that the very stress of waiting for the period and stressing about pregnancy led to it being later than usual because that was one of the biggest gaps I've ever had.

What are the chances? Condom didn't break, hadn't expired, wasn't damaged, didn't slip or spill. I am also prone to the occasional irregular period. I know you might say 'just take a test' - and I certainly will if there is still no show in the next 3 days or so. I just feel like I'd have a panic attack if I do so now and would rather not put myself through that if my period is around the corner.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.