What can I do to reduce swelling?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm virtually pain free from my costochondritis but I feel like I'm constantly swollen on my sternum and left breast area. More than when the pain was at its worst. It's pretty much 24/7.

As there's no pain, I'm not quite sure how to remedy this. An ibuprofen seems redundant and I don't want to pop pills or apply gel for no reason.

I've read about cortisone (?) Injections which I'm reluctant to try.

I'm also doing stretches, the same stretches I've always done to help with pain.

I'm drinking ginger and turmeric tea which has massively helped with the pain (I feel this is what has cleared my pain) and are apparently anti inflammatories.

But the swelling is so uncomfortable I feel constantly restricted in my chest area so eating and sleeping have become great troubles.

Should I keep at the stretches? Introduce light upper body exercise? Give in to the injections?

Supplements? More herbal teas?

The swelling may possibly be distressing me more than the pain, at least I knew what to do about that.

Help please.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi shekme:

with swelling, it's more likely, that you have Tietze's Syndrome. It might be worth looking up the treatment for that condition. I had/have severe Costochondritis , but the drug Nortriptyline 30 mgs has cleard the excrusiating pain for me. It might be worth a try.

hope that helps.

C

• Posted

The thing is I don't have pain anymore. My sternum or upper chest randomly swells and it's uncomfortable but not painful.

I'll look up tietzes remedies but they all seem to link back to costochondritis because that's more common.

There's a lot less tietzes information though I suspect that's what I have. All I read about tietzes is the exact same info as costo plus swelling.

• Posted

I also have swelling in my upper breast area so welcome any suggestions that people may have. I agree the ginger and lemon tea has helped along with fish oil tablets. I also do stretches which smeone reccommended and have helped but to get the swelling down would be great as I find it uncomfortable wearing bras.
    • Posted

I've been wearing a sports bra for the last 4 months. Try that.

Sometimes a sports bra hurts too so you might want to just go bra less.

Or maybe look into seamless bras. They're becoming fashionable now so you might find it easy to find it the shops.

• Posted

Dear folks I am male 35 years old my English is weak but I will try my best to explain my condition. Last one year I am having pain under my left arm ribs and swelling in left breast. And also sharp pain between shoulder blade and spine. Some pain goes to shoulder and arm. When I sleep on my back it hurt . Breathing problem It seems I am unable to breath properly from left side lung. In fact my whole left side in pain. I can not lift even 5 kg stuff. I have seen many doctors in Dubai but they were unable to tear me and just give anti inflammation drugs and said it is muscle spasm. Some times feel that my hear will pop out from left side. Sensation in left breast. Please help me and advice is it costo and what should I do to get rid off this miserable condition.
    • Posted

Spelling mistakes Herat and treat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.