What can I do when exercise and rest don't help?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, just wondering if any of you deal with *not* getting relief from light exercise and rest for RA in general and flare ups. I've read over and over on RA sites that light exercise is good but it tends to make me feel worse. I've been feeling really depressed lately, so I thought walking would help since it usually does but now I when I walk a short time (15-20 minutes), I end up feeling worse with symptoms, which then makes me feel worse emotionally. 

And I do rest. I get a fairly decent sleep although I wake up several times at night. Mostly due to menopausal stuff. But for the most part, I sleep OK.

Ugh, I'm so sick of this disease and I was just diagnosed last September. If this is my life forward, I'm going to need something to make me want to get up in the morning. 

I'm on Arava because MTX makes me feel worse. I don't have insurance so I can't use the biologics and I've tried twice to get on a clinical study and both times it fell through. And honestly, the thought of the biologics makes me very nervous because I work in a hosptial around sick people all day, so having my immune system compromised doesn't make me too excited.

I am beginning to feel helpless with this disease. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help when the body feels drained on a constant basis, along with that flu-like feeling where everything aches? And of course the swelling and pain in the joints too? I'm desperate! 

I take fish oil supplements and 1mg folic acid as well as tumeric/curcumin. I tried Magnesium but it really made my night sweats bad. There was an obvious change when I started the Magnesium. Would B12 help? Vit D? 

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Movement of any kind is critical; the longer the body is still, the stiffer it gets. Have you tried yoga? If not, I highly recommend finding a beginning yoga class.

I'm currently on Plaquenil, another immune suppressing drug. I have been on it since October 2014 and it seems to be helping with the pain, but definitley has it's other side effects. Everybody's are different but I've decided to stay the course with it for a couple of years to see if I can get my RA into remission.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

Sorry you re having such a bad time and so much pain.

if you can't take methotrexate some people find sulphasalazine, another DMARD , works. Can you get another rheumy appointment to discuss meds with them as there is other stuff they can try, both to help inflammation and to do more to hold back the progression of the disease. 

I have been in the situation you ve described and the only way I felt better was when the disease was under better control medically. I think that would help you feel more positive and less controlled by this discouraging disease.

If you do get a chance to go on a biologic trial I would take it as this has helped me and I too was worried about the effect of immune suppression as I work in a school.you would be monitored carefully and the drug stopped if there was adverse reaction or too many infections.

All the best

• Posted

Thank you Rowbirdie. I don't have an appointment scheduled at the moment, but if things don't improve quickly, I will make one to discuss other options. 

I'm glad to hear the biologics work OK for you. You weren't sick a lot?

• Posted

No I have been ok. But I had already had methotrexate for 9 months which lowers immune system and not had infections. I know people respond differently and you just can't tell what the effect will be ,positive or negative till you try it. But it wasn't hard to decide to try as the alternative was living with such pain and immobility .in uk you don't get to try a biologic unless you have tried 2 other DMARD s and are still have moderate to high disease activity.

Hope this ' flare' works it's way out soon or you get further help if needed.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

When flaring

1    I always used ice (or cold towels to get relief, not heat)

2    I always take an anti-inflammatory BEFORE exercise as a precaution (as advised by both my dr's, & for me this works

Just recently I tried mtx & arava but was severely allergic to both, & no matter what I thought before (which was to never take biologics) my immune system clearly doesn't like being compromised so won't go there.  My rheumy actually told me to go back to what I was doing because 1) there isn't anything he can give me & 2) it clearly was working for me - I actually asked him 'if I was your mum what would you suggest?' and  that's when he told me there was nothing else he could offer. (even though he is concerned about my inflammation markers)

Yep this disease is a pain in the ar.... but we all have to learn to live with it as best we can.

I hope for you that you find a way around your dilemna

BTW don't forget if you don't use it you lose it !!! 

• Posted

Hi Maz,

Thanks for your reply. I actually did take my prescribed anti inflammatory before I did my walk and it didn't help and now, several hours later, my left hip is killing me. Ugh!

Interestingly enough, ice nor heat help me. Ice makes me worse. Heat makes me OK at first but then it just comes back. 

I still plan on moving. I started a 'movement calendar' last week that includes walking, Pilates, gardening, dancing, etc. But because I felt awful this weekend, I didn't do anything. I was hoping the exercise would help not hurt me. sad

• Posted

Heat or cold - whatever works for you ....... 

Good that you don't have any intention of stopping movement .. it is critical to being able to move at all later- and the arthritis will  get worse if you don't

I suggest you only do 10 or at the most 15 min of pilates or dancing etc at a time & rest in between sets (dances) - however walk walk walk as well - as a dance teacher I know only too well how hard it is to keep going when the result is pain for the rest of the day.

Exercise won't hurt or exacerbate the condition so don't worry about that.

Last year I broke my humerous (bone in the upper arm) and because my arm was immobilised for some 7 mths my arthritis  took off in my hand and because of the inactivity I lost the use of my hand & had to have petacarpal replacements for all 4 knuckles (the big knuckles in the hand) -- fortunately it was a complete success but I learned a valuable lesson in  the process - which is why I am saying keep moving!

Watch sugar, gluten & dairy as well in your diet -- these are the big 3 to stop using if you have any kind of arthritis (they all exacetbate inflammation)

• Posted

Hi Maz - Ive just joined this forum, think I have the start of RA in my hands, left hand two knuckle joints have nodules and thumb has somethibg lumpy - I have used quite heavy hand weights for a long time several times a week and miss using as worried this will make matters worse - what do you think, ditch the weights soo don't want to. G x
  • Posted

Hi Sue, my experiences have always been helped when in flare up pain, to slow down, not do any strenous activity exercise, as working the already painful RA or Fibromyalga pain intensifies it..really take it easy until you can get the fatique and body pain under better control..are you taking a prescribed anti inflammatory such as mobic or other? Really crucial. Can you take plaquinil since you are not able to try biologics? I have done best and very well in plaquinil, which has extremely few side effects, according to my prescribing RA doctor and nurse. It is only suggested i get my vision tested once a year. I have no side effects on this (4 years). Magnesium took away all fibromyalga type all over pain, let me sleep deeper, and helped keep my flares under much better control. Magnesium enables other nutrients and minerals to be absorbed much more and in adequate amts, when taken with calcium and D3. I believe that because the tumeric/circumin was taken with the magnesium, that the magnesium greatly intensified the absorption of them, which would very possibly cause your body to break out in night sweats.Magnesium is truly a magical godsend for RA disease. I find the deeper and more restful my sleep is, the better my pain is managed. Alsi, staying away from foods that cause inflammation, staying away from foods you may be sensitive to (example: gluten, grains, soy, dairy, tomatoes..high sugar foods, natural or other) helps alot..and that often gluten or other sensitivities can cause a candida condition, that hugely exasperates RA, Fibromyalga pain,all over fever, flares and fatigue.It truly is vital that you take a daily anti inflammatory. My doctor has also advised me to take an ober the counter ibuprofen in between my anti inflammatory doses, when in more serious pain, which helps alot. Alternating between warm and cold works best for me, with more cold.
    • Posted

I forgot to add that water therapy, or getting into a therapeutic pool has the very best effect and help for me.
  • Posted

Hello suelmc222

I think I am at the very start of RA in two finger joints and sore thumb joints and weak wrists - not seen the doctor as yet as researching.  I am 65 and in really good health  Always exercise and use hand weights.  Now I am thinking I should not do the hand weights.  My diet is excellent and nutritious with no white bread, cakes, biccies etc and I drink 3 pints of water a day.  This is so annoying to get and not a nice forward thinking plan.  I note you work in a hospital, I worked also but in a secretarial role so typing all day is what I love.  Although taking dictation started hurting my right hand and I had to keep shaking it - it must have sounded strange and not very professional for me to keep shouting out "hang on, don't go so fast" lol - I did get on with the boss luckily.

What are biologics?  I'm not looking forward to all the different meds either.  My hubby has arthritis in various parts and is going tomorrow for steriod injection in his knee.  I give him lots of green smoothies to alkaline his inflammation and give him tumeric capsules and fish oil to keep him moving.  Some days it seems to work wonders.  I understand you saying motivation in the mornings.  I have just retired but I don't think this helps - and I was thinking about returning but don't think typing would be a good bet.

Good job for sites like this.

G x

Hope you don't mind me joining in.  I live in England btw.

• Posted

I too am new to RA.  I used to use hand weights, but I would be loath to do so now. 

The good thing about these forums is that there is always someone to help/talk to.  The help on here is amazing.

Good luck.

Constance (ex-pat GB living in Germany). 

• Posted

Hi, how does RA affect you hands?  Do you get any redness or lumpy bits?  I don't seem to be bothered anywhere else yet apart from an aching hip when I bend over at a certain angle and had this for several years?  I'm sure there must be something that can halt it in early stages.  I have just looked through my years of research paperwork which I like doing for myself and for other people to help them and cinammon has come out very strongly for Arthritis.  I do take it in a smoothie each morning to stabilise blood sugar and lower cholesterol but I forgot about Arthritis.  It says to use a small tsp of cinammon with 2 tsp of honey in warm water every morning and evening and tests on 200 people showed 73 were pain free within a week and the rest of the 200 up to a month but all were able to walk without pain and some they reckoned were cured.  Needless to say hubbs and me are starting the combo tomorrow.  I'll keep you all posted.  If nothing else its a  really healthy and will benefit all parts of the body.

Regards G.

• Posted

Hi again just been looking at TCM acupressure points to apply yourself.  I use one for toothache and one for hiccups which always work, never thought of one for cramps but there is on the top of the lip and the valley between the big toe and second toe.  Have you tried this ? xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.