What causes hypothyroidism in middle age?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, i was diagnosed hypo a year ago, was two years into perimenopause at the time. Went to doc as I was a bit tired and couldnt lose weight, despite diet and exercise. Doc checked my bloods, said I was hypo and I started on levothyroxine. Around this time I had whooping cough and also became allergic to penicillin. Only now a year later Im questioning why did I become hypo. Are these things linked? Now told I have high cholesterol levels and have my blood glucose rechecked, so totally changing my diet. Is there a test to find out what has caused it? Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbi ...  the most common cause of hypothroidism in developed countries is Hashimoto's thyroidis, which is an auto immune disease in which your immune system attacks your thyroid.  You would need your TPO and Tgab tested to know for sure.  As your thyroid gets destroyed by your immune system, you develope hypothyroidism and will need synthetic hormone replacement ( such as levothyroxine ) for the rest of your life.  Another common cause is iodine definciency , but this is more common in  under developed countries where they do not put iodine in thier salt.  I hope this helps some Debbie.  Of course there is a few other causes, but I am not too familiar with, as the two I listed are the most common.  Hope you start to feel better!
  • Posted

Also high cholesterol is a common finding in people with hypothyroidism.  This may lower as you continue your medication and hopefully get your thyroid levels good.

• Posted

Thanks so much. Will ask doc about these tests. My level is on the high side of normal, so thinking of incresing to 125 mcg of levo, but this week my heart has beenpounding, not really palpatations, and Im worried more levo may make it worse. I long for the day I can pop my pill, feel good and just get on with life instead of living in a cryptic puzzle! X
    • Posted

Also... if you havn't already, you should have your Free T4 and FreeT3 levels checked also.  This will give you a bigger picture on where your at with your levels.  For example..  right now my TSH is normal after a med increase but my Free T4 levels are high.  The high FT4 levels are giving me some hyper symptoms, even though my TSH is normal. 
  • Posted

Hello Debbie:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA and I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Several things can cause it.

#1- family trait, runs in certain people's gene's/DNA.  Like Hashimoto's autoimmune

#2- Epstein-Barr virus also called Mononucleosis.  It attacks the gland and lays dormant and comes out later in life.

#3- Cancer, Lupus, Diabetes and other conditions or treatments like chemotherapy.

#4- lack of Iodine in 3rd world countries and poor food/diet.  Not likely in USA or UK or any major country because salt is iodized now.

#5- Illegal drugs....Meth, cocaine can damage the body and glands.

So these are ways it can come about. Keeping a good balanced diet and living well and taking the hormone,  it is manageable.

They can draw a titer to see if you have EBV (Epstein BarrVirus) also TPOA antibodies test for autoimmune.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Yep going to ask for these tests. Thanks so much for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.