What do you do for fun?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Now that I have ra, I find that I can no longer do many of the things I used to do and I am so bored all the time. My ankles hurt when I walk so going to festivals, shopping, dancing, sports, golfing, all are difficult. Im not a sedintary petson and I am so sick of watching tv, reading and playing on the computet. I want to get out and do something, but everything hurts! What do you do for fun?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam, I feel your pain & understand how you feel. I hurt when I move & I hurt when I don't. So after a few months of lying around, I decided to get up & move around. Swimming has helped tremendously. My meds keep me pretty much pain free right now unless I have a flare-up. I'm very very careful not to overdo it as my rheumatologist does not believe in pain meds, go at your own pace & do what you like. If you like flea markets or festivals then do it, but if you feel like you need to go home..then go. RA makes you realize you must listen to your own body & take care of you. Hope this helps & hope you get your life back!

• Posted

I hate RA. It steals your life & because you look "normal" it is very hard for others to understand what you are going thru. I often wonder how many Rheumatologist TRUELY understand how you feel. Diagnosed in May I have been to two & neither will prescribe pain meds for flare-ups. I am terrified that when the next flare up hits I will have nothing to ease the pain. Be strong my friends.

• Posted

I craft, paint, swim, read, puzzles to keep mind sharp. Try to walk at least 1-2 X week. It depends on day and flare. But not moving is a very BAD thing - physically and emotionally. Gotta take back what you can and celebrate small victories! Not a competition with friends your age - based on your body. A walk to the mail box could be an amazing accomplishment. Celebrate it!
  • Posted

I wish I could move around. The ra has affected my ankles and if I walk more than 5 minutes, it feels like it is fractured and then it will hurt for the whole next day.
    • Posted

Hi

does your rheumy know how badly your ankles are? The trouble is most measures of how bad RA is are based on problems with finger joints, shoulder, knees( ie DAS 28 score) 

maybe your rheumy could look at your medication and improve on it? I have a problem with 1 ankle when my biologic wears off, otherwise no pain.  See if they can do more for you and explain how it s reduced your mobility.

• Posted

I used to spend most of y time in my workshop, plus, sailing canoeing, cycling walking and so on .   Like you, I'm bored out of my wits, I can do none of that now, I bought a remote control plane and helicopter but find even doing that hurts my thumbs so I have to pick my days.   I can't exercise at all, not even in a heated pool so I spend most of my time tapping on the keyboard now.   Boring!

• Posted

I know, right? If I have to binge watch one more series on Netflix I am going to flip out. I never liked sitting around. I am so freakin bored. The kids want to go to carnivals, amusement parks, festivals and all I can do is sit on a bench and play on my phone until we leave. This is all new to me and they are trying to figure out what meds will work for me so hopefully it will get a little better.
  • Posted

I have RA and find that yoga helps a lot. You can inquire around for a gentle form of yoga (there are many types, some require more exertion that others). It helps my joints to stay flexible and also helps with mood and pain levels.
  • Posted

I'm thinking about joining the Y for the use of the pool and stationary bikes.

This weekend I'm buying tumeric, pineapple and black cherry juice, giving up sweet's and caffeine.

I've gotta face it, gonna have to live a healthier lifestyle. I never was much on sweet's but do like soda and energy drinks.

I think the exercise bike is a pretty good idea. It doesn't put a lot of stress on the jounts. I practically lived on one after knee surgery.

• Posted

hello Pam I

now that's a very good question. I do pretty much what most folk do. I save my money, and when I have enough I go to Milan Rome, business, all over Italy with my trusty horse.maximus halitosis.

at home on Tuesdays I do my open university degree in bowler hat making. neighbours not pleased with chemicals though.

Fridays is skydiving.charity beckons.

diet wise is non meat. on account of Wednesdays being taxidermy night. learning that is. drink is forbidden. except on a Sunday.which is the day I raise my glass and declare ' I am NOT SPARTACUS'. happy Sunday smiley day folks!

• Posted

oh. forgot tell you Mondays is 3dimensional chess night. but I'm packing that in cos Spock makes me borsant. tami will tell you what I mean

by the way what do the four black splodges mean you posted?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.