What is the best way to come off Venlaxafine (Effexor) without medical intervention?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I began taking Venlaxafine at the end of September as my anxiety was becoming unmanageable. I was prescribedrunk 75mg. The first four weeks were great however, I can honestly say that the last two weeks have been the worst of my life. As well as experiencing chronic insomnia and circulatory problems (freezing hands and feet), I suddenly have no capacity to handle any sort of negativity. I am breaking down crying, flying into a rage, having heart palpitations and panic attacks (which I have never before experienced) etc. I want to come off this as it's completely ruining my life. How do I do this without a physician as they want to keep me on it? I have prescriptions for a 75mg dose but I need to come down. Does this mean I need to count out the beads each day? Or could I quit cold turkey without detrimental effects on my brain? Please help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would advise you to let your doctor in on your plans. Ultimately it is your decision and they can't force the pills down your throat. That why you can at least get a script for 37.5mg and take that for a week before coming off.

You'll experience some withdrawals but shouldn't be too bad or last to long as you've only been on them for a short time.

• Posted

Hi. Just to balance the info offered in your post: you say that your anxiety was becoming unmanageable...and then month and a half into therapy you experienced insomnia, cold hands and feet, emotional reactivity, rage, palpitations and panic attacks. If you never experienced these before, what were your presenting symptoms that were unmanageable enough to elicit a prescription in the first place?

Just trying to gauge things because what you describe sounds 99% like anxiety and not effect of medication.

• Posted

Wow I hope your ok now. I ran out of my Effexor for 2 days and it was the worst 2 days! but I was going to say that your symptoms sound like mine pre Effexor minus the cold hands and feet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.