What is this growth in my mouth?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had this lump in my mouth, adjacent to my Uvula on the left hand side.

I first noticed a small lump around 6 months ago, it grew a little since then and has remained the same ever since. It's usual appearance is slightly smaller, smooth and the same colour as the the rest of my mouth. When prodded with a cotton bud, it is painless, very soft and moves around a bit.

Occasionally it will "flare up" and the picture shows the worst it has been, this cleared within a few days and went back to it's "normal" appearance. It has "flared up" twice in the past 5/6 months, all it does is cause some discomfort in my mouth which prompts me to look in a mirror and then it looks like this, most of the time it is not noticable and there is no pain.

I have seen a GP who said it was the "normal anotomy of my body" and was not concerned.

I saw a dentist who said it looked like a "swollen gland" and was nothing to worry about.

I showed a pharmacist who said it could be tonsilitus or something else but not to worry.

I then saw another GP who said they had no idea and referred me to the local sexual health clinic.

I saw another dentist who referred me to the hospital but anybody's guess how long that could take.

I then saw a nurse at the sexual health clinic who said it's unlikely to be HPV or any other STI. (Straight male, same partner for 5 years, we don't have oral sex).

As far as I can tell, and from people's opinion on a reddit post, it looks like squamous cell papilloma from HPV. God knows how I have got that and what the implications are, but there is no test for that according to the sexual health nurse.

Should I be worried about this, any idea on what it could be? Oral warts look more inflamed, longer protrusions etc, this is soft, plyable and 90% of the time has no protrusions at all.

Only other thing to mention would be that I had a verruca for several months about a year ago, particularly persistant and required several treatments to prevent it coming back, I've seen that the verruca is also caused by HPV, so possibly some correlation there.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am still awaiting an appointment with 'oral medicine' at the hospital.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.