What procedure did you have, Does it make a difference to side effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have the procedure planned 9/29. It’s supposed to be non-scalpel procedure but the nhs info the hospital sent me said I would have dissolvable stitches. 

I’ve read a lot about the side effects and the anxiety over having more children outweighs the percentage risks, but I would prefer the procedure that has the least side effects, quicker recovery. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had non scalpel surgery and spent 3 weeks in bed with a painful infection. Mild and infrequent PVP. I would say though, that most people you'll find are involved in a group like this one are involved because they've suffered what I'm sure is an unusual complication. I don't think you'll find balanced opinion as non scalpel surgery is so much more common now. My only advice is to plan absolutely nothing for at least a week afterwards and don't do anything until you're absolutely sure you're healed. Good luck.

• Posted

Hope this isn’t too direct but you mentioned mild and infrequent PVP.

How often, and on a scale of 1 to 10, how severe (10 being worst). 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I work from home 70% of the time and plan to have at least two weeks doing nothing but sitting at my laptop (in bed).

I’m curious to know if your procedure involved any stitches?

I’m aware there is the risk of PVP and also interested in knowing the best route to take to minimise this. I’ve read horror stories and successes - it appears balanced - just hope i’m not the former. 

• Posted

I didn't have any stitches, it was a no scalpel job, so just a small puncture. I think the dissolvable stitches stuff may have been in the literature I was given too, if probably covers people who are undergoing both types of procedure. The PVP is minimal and doesn't affect me other than the odd wince... Kind of like sitting down when you haven't "organised" properly! I'd say 2-4/10. Infrequent, short and insignificant to the point at which it could be every two days, maybe its once a week, It doesn't stick in the memory. Overall, I'm pleased I did it, and that's despite 3 weeks of real discomfort and a hell of a lot of worry. The preparation and aftercare could be a lot better. Hopefully you'll be like the vast majority and have no problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.