What's do we all have informed common

Posted , 10 users are following.

Let's start with gender,age.travel family history, set and sub set of type etc...

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am 55 I have autoimmune disease in my family (Addison’s, celiac, hoshimotos).  

I am a chronic worrier and have sleep issues.  I have no food allergies that I am aware but do have hay feaver.

I recently had silicone implants removed which were found to be leaking.

It appears my GA started after  TB test which was the 3rd one I have had in my life.

I hope you get more responses 😀

• Posted

I am 66 and have had GA for at least 10 years. I don’t have autoimmune in family. I was never told GA was autoimmune but tomorrow I am actually going to derm that diagnosed this by sight unlike the 3 drs before her that found it necessary to biopsy. I too am a worrier, very bad sleeper. No food allergies and also sensitivity to ragweed!! My derm explained it this way to me. Body made of cells, sometimes two cells merge with no place to go except they pop up therefore GA outbreak. Started on inside of right forearm now have it on outside of both firearms, worst break out yet. She treated me with halibetasol propionate crenels. Going tomorrow to see any new options. Wish me luck
  • Posted

Hi there  you have medication for your hoshitmotos.  That is what  had along with the granuloma annulare and I found that when I changed my medication to a 'natural' thyroid tablet my granuloma went away.  I had it for 10 years and now I have nothing.  I was thrilled.  Hoshimotos and Granuloma Annulare are both auto immune diseases.  I also have IBS, so they are all linked.  I now follow the FODMAP diet and take my natural thyroid (prescription) medication and all has been well for almost 12 months, no sign of Granuloma.  Looks like I was allergic to the fillers in the synthetic medication.

• Posted

diabetes

candida

wheat sensitivity? 

Gets worse after eating yeasty food

Drink not enough water, but drink filtered

avoid beer but drink some wine

My GA coincides with lasting higher blood sugar and eating a lot of sugar. In 09, took sugar out of my diet and GA went away. 

Live in east TN

dont sleep enough

dont wear make up. 

Try to avoid products with propylene glycol

use regular shampoo

use coconut oil

have joint pain/inflammation

I believe this is an internal issue, not one that can be treated topically. 

• Posted

OK all here is today’s scoop from the Derm that diagnosed me over 10 yrs ago. I DO NOT HAVE AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE!! Not all cases of GA are autoimmune. Mine is just a clump of cells merging together causing the pop ups. It basically stays restricted to forearms and does not go body wide. If it were more widespread she would test further. Only treatment for me is halobetasol propionate cream. It will come, it will go and life goes on. They used to think it could be linked to diabetes, etc but no more. There really is no rhyme or reason. They no nothing new 10 years later! Ugh 
  • Posted

, seems that everyone's dermatologist says GA is related to an autoimmune problem I think we can all agree that the problem is something else . therefore let's seek commonality Among Us.

• Posted

I’m a 49 year old female. No food allergies but a sensitive stomach. I have seasonal allergies.  I have sleep issues and a worrywart. I’m seeing sleep as a common theme with these responses!  I’ve had granuloma for about 7 years, first on lower legs and waist, then on left hand, then on forearms. The ONLY thing that has worked for me is cortisone injections either in the area or a larger dose in my hip. When I have a breakout, it’s very itchy! If I have a sip of alcohol I itch even more.  Nothing topical or dietary seems to work for me. Rashes are a difficult thing to treat in general after talking with several doctors and pharmacists and yes, this thing is internal. No one else in my family seems to have it. Love to travel at least twice a year.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am a 52 y/o female w/no PMH (past medical history) and no family PMH. Only presription med prior to GA was  Ibuprofen as needed, no over the counter vitamins or herbal therapy. 3 C-Sections. Started hot flashes last several years with decreased periods for the past year. I'm 5ft 6in 165 lbs. Mosty active and fit with normal weight until about mid 40's - still active, not as fit. Normal life stressors. 

So the "GA" symptoms started in 2011 w/skin colored very itchy bumps on R shin and R hand only not purple and no rings - just small bumps. Treated w/oral antibiotics and steroid taper - cleared and then returned. Sent to Derm - given Clobetasol (steroid) cream/ointment - cleared, but then started w/same symptoms on elbows. 2nd Derm visit (2012) diagnosed GA w/o biopsy - said if I am lucky will clear in next couple years. From 2012 until mid 2016 had itchy rash bumps come and go while using Clobetasol off and on, then had extreme itchy, and now red, flare up end of 2016 - both shins and elbows - no longer on R hand.  Menopause symtoms were very frequent around this time (looking back).

Biopsy on R shin and R elbow showed, "suggestive of interstitial granuloma annulare."

Treatments:

Resident Derm started me on oral Dapsone, but follow-up Derm took me off after 3 weeks due to potential side effects and not this Derms first choice. Started me on oral Methotrexate - counts started dropping w/liver enzymes rising - took me off after about a month and rec. UVB light therapy, and no further meds. I declined for the time being wanting to do my own research. I read just about every abstract available on the web and scrutinized my own pathology reports. 

For me personally, after ruling out; diabetes, thyroid, celiac, gluten intolerance, dermatitis herpatiformis and mast cell disorder, I feel this is overactive histamines exacerbated by menopause. 

What is working for me or keeping my GA in check is (I have it mildly on my right shin only at this time) - Elidel cream and Jobst stockings to both lower legs - even though my L shin is clear. I take Estroven, Zyrtec (H1 inhibitor) and Zantac (H2 inhibitor) every morning. I avoid high histamine foods as much as possible and recently discovered I can't drink wine - I turn red and itch all over like crazy. Also, if I do let stress get the better of me, I will start to itch. Stress releases histamines.

I don't know what triggered this in 2011 - I started getting the flu vaccine in 2009 and have the PPD skin test annually the last 30 years as I am in healthcare - I read there may have been a link, but there there is no current data/research to validate this. 

It sounds like all of our scenarios and symptoms are different. Something has triggered our bodies into overdrive. I will check this site regularly in hopes that someones Derm will have a cure!

Sincerely, Renee

• Posted

27 female. Lack of sleep and sensitive stomach as well but I've also been pregnant 3 times in the past 7 years. I've always been a worrier too but recently I've decided to describe it as anxiety. Mine are on my ankles and one in my elbow little spots have popped up on my legs and hands over the last year. Live in oklahoma travled up and down east coast, Germany, and southern states.

• Posted

I had it for about three years  started in Mesa Az.  I saw on a board to take three 500 mg doses of B 3 niamiacide everyday I think I did  for several months.  I saw it once more  briefly after that. It was on my inner thighs and butt.  It never hurt.  I have become very allergic to sunlight. I have e five thyroid nodules.  I have pooor sleep quality.  I was over 62 when it started.  Once I told my daughter that I had climbed up on a chair and looked at my backside in the mirror and thought it was returning.  She said Mother, just do not look back there.  It was never panful or itchy.  Being out in the sun causes painful prickles mainly on exposed areas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.