What's going on?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had gastroc release, tendon transfer and all-american calcaneal osteotomy almost ten weeks ago. I was healing well, gradually increasing weight bearing and walking in the boot, and really happy with the results until about a week ago. Now I have HORRIBLE pain on the bottom and up the sides of my heel. It seems to hurt the most when any pressure on the foot is released, like if I had it on the floor or was standing and then lift it off the floor. I got an emergency appointment last Wednesday with my surgeon, who says the heel bone looks great, and he said I have severe plantar fasciitis and gave me the steroid shots, but I've had PF for years and that isn't what this is. No improvement from the shots. Had anyone had this type of pain, and knows what it could be? Maybe it's where the Achilles tendon attaches to the calcaneus? I hate whining--just want to figure out what's going on and resolve it. Thanks for any input!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Good Afternoon.  I don't know what you had done,but I had mid-foot fusion, with screws left in, four months ago.  My other foot is badly in need of "fixing".  My operated foot is always swollen, and very, very swollen by the afternoon, after I have been walking around.  I have experienced heel pain, which I did not have before, but I figured it is just healing.  However, my other foot, because it is taking extra weight, is really bothering me more than it did before and I am getting pain from the outside of my foot, from my small toe to my ankle.  I never had that before; it is so bad it almost drops me, though it only lasts for a few minutes.  I don't think we realise just how important our feet are.  I am hoping this is just because of the extra work my feet are doing at this time.  I hope this is of some help to you.

• Posted

It is, thanks, and I hope they can fix your other foot too! Fortunately my other foot is okay but it gets pretty tired. It's just so frustrating...I started out no weight on it, then toe touch with two crutches, then one crutch, and then I was walking around my house and other short distances on my own. Feels like I'm going backward! One night I had to crawl up the stairs because I just couldn't deal with putting it on the floor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.