What's the difference between anxiety and depression?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I really confuse that depression and anxiety common in society or not? please help me with examples.......

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Maybe this will help??

Anxiety Disorders

Anxiety Disorders are characterized by a sense of doubt and vulnerability about future events. The attention of anxious people is focused on their future prospects, and the fear that those future prospects will be bad. Anxiety Disorders are characterized by a variety of symptoms involving anxious thoughts, unexplained physical sensations, and avoidant or self protective behaviors.

Depression

A person whose primary problem is depression, rather than anxiety, generally doesn't show the same fear and uncertainty that people do with anxiety disorders. Depressed people are not so preoccupied with worrying about what might happen to them in the future. They think they already know what will happen, and they believe it will be bad, the same bad stuff that's happening to them now. The key symptoms of depression include:

* Feeling sad, and/or hopeless

* Lack of interest and enjoyment in activities that used to be fun and interesting

* Physical aches and pains without physical cause; lack of energy

* Difficulty concentrating, remembering, and/or making decisions

* Changes in appetite and weight

* Unwelcome changes in usual sleep pattern

* Thoughts of death and suicide

Depression may come on as a relatively sudden and severe problem, or it may consist of a longer term set of symptoms which are less severe.

• Posted

Examples:

Anxiety - When I got a letter in the mail stating I wasn't going to receive a monetary benefit I have been receiving for 2 years.  All of a sudden I started sweating, my heart started racing and pounding, I was restless....that is ANXIETY.

Depression - My children have not spoken to me in months.  It feels like I have a constant weight on my shoulder....I am not motivated...I cry alot....I don't sleep well...I either eat too much or not enough...I am not socialable or I am too sociable...I'm a basic MESS of emotion....all the time...that is Depression.

• Posted

Anxiety and depression are thought of as the same thing, just presentedin different ways. Why are you asking others to give you examples? Why don't you provide your own?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.