What should I(nondiabetic) do if blood sugar fasting is 66?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My blood sugar is usually around 90 (fasting) and 98(pp). But I had a particularly stressful year and I skipped meals. So when I saw my fasting had crept up to 102 and 113ppz, I got scared even though my physician said it was due to lifestyle change. But I still went on a no-carb (no grains at all, not even a crystal of sugar, only not-sweet fruits, boiled or raw non-starchy veggies and boiled chicken) diet. Today my blood sugar test showed 66 fasting and 74 pp. I am scared, what should I do? I have medical test for a job coming up in a week and I'm afraid I won't have normal results.

P.S.: The tests were done in lab not home meter.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sanjana - congratulations on your upcoming job interview! The easy answer is, forget the over-the-top crazy diet that you went on for not much reason! If you don't have diabetes or other chronic illness, get on a *sensible* middle-of-the-road diet with low (but not zero!) carbs, keep them as mostly fruits and vegsand whole grains, and low (but not zero!) fats, keep them as mostly olive oil and similar "good" oils.

That's at the low end of normal for fasting blood sugar, not enough for panic but maybe for some concern. One possible side effect of such a no-carb diet is low energy levels and difficulty concentrating due to the low blood sugar (doesn't wound like someone I'd want to hire!). the British Heart Foundation recommends against such a diet, as there is some evidence it can *damage* your heart. Also makes it difficult to support a healthy microbiome in your gut.

Also, it looks like you're at the same time cutting out all fat (am I reading correctly?) with boiling everything. That can also get you into trouble, there are fat-soluble vitamins that you're missing. Your body will start to crave them and end up sending you an a binge of fatty cr@p, for which you'll feel guilty and then starts a vicious cycle. And where are you getting your dietary fiber?

Be sensible! Take a deep breath and take care of yourself - but don't go wacko. You'll be alright. And get that job!

• Posted

I have resumed my normal diet, which is pretty well balanced and I feel much more energetic now. I am eating 1 whole wheat flat-bread for lunch and dinner along with veggies, pulses and a portion of fish or chicken. And plenty of fruits and water. I guess I went on a sugar crash with the zero carb diet. Hopefully it will even out in a week of normal diet and light exercise.

P.S.: I did get that job, this is just a pre-employment medical test smile

• Posted

Sounds great! I think you're right about the blood sugar crash - that's not a way you want to spend your whole time, tho rolleyes

I know it's easy to over-react when you're concerned about test results and diet issues, but the short answer is, don't swing too far off the center with your eating habits. Be good to your body and it'll be good to you.

So glad you're feeling more energetic, and the job is yours - the medical test will be no problem at all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.