What/Where are protocols for extubation after cardiac surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Where or how does one find the protocols required for extubation following cardiac (bypass) surgery?

Also, if anyone knows about the use of Narcan (naloxone) during cardiac surgery, I'd like to find that information, too.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i work as a Anesthesia Tech and work a lot of open heart cases. Im sure its a hospital to hospital, case by case bases. Ultimately its up to the Anesthesiologist to decide when to extubate. In my experience its when the patient can obviously breath on their own with no difficulty and their stats support it. Narcan I see used when you need to reverse the effects of a drug. Some docs use it as a way to start waking up their patient off the multiple different meds they have them on during surgery.

• Posted

Thank you for your time and reply.

If I may ask a follow up..., if charted as "extubated by other", could or does it mean the patient pulled their intubation out?

Google shows this as an option for the meaning; but, could it be really poor charting?

Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.