What would be called a "normal" attack of shingles?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 73 and was diagnosed with shingles three weeks ago. I had been waiting to be notified in my NHS app that I could have a vaccination but I've caught before this has happened. If I had been told it could be this bad I would have made a positive effort to find out sooner. So I got the rash on my right side abdomen,side of chest and a bit on the back. The rash is the least of my concerns. It hasn't gone and is still just red patches although it did go purple and seemed to be healing. It is tender to the touch and slight burning, sore sensation from time to time but not bad itching. I put calamine lotion on it at least once a day. What has grown worse is a pain like a stomach ache in my upper abdomen, similar to the pain when I had gall stones (Gall bladder since removed)and a severe back ache like when you pull a muscle. At first I thought these were the results of some heavy DIY lifting I had just completed but now I think it might be the shingles. It's like toothache neuralgia in that it seems to spread around but generally deep behnd where rashes are.. It is unbearably painful at night and it is impossible to sleep through it with no position alleviating it. Co-codamol and Amitriptylene don't seem to do much. Some nights I've had zero sleep. So really my question is, is this fairly typical of what I might expect at this stage or am I lining up for some of the horror stories I am reading on here?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

You can still get the shingles vaccine.There is no specific length of time that you need to wait after having shingles before you can receive Shingrix, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has gone away before getting vaccinated. It will help to lesson the the advance of the disease.

This is what I did from my doctors advice.

• Posted

hi im hoping that you are feeling better by now. But what you describe is identical to what I am experiencing. I am 47 never had the vaccine and have had shingles on my right side under my breast and on my back a little the pain you describe is identical to what I am experiencing. Like nothing I’ve ever felt at first before I had a rash I thought I broke a rib or punctured a lung or something if by chance, you are still having some pain I highly recommend the following

emuaid max it is amazing

wise men healing balm

and

walgreens homeopathic nerve spray

I also go back-and-forth between Advil and Tylenol

without this, I think I would just fall apart and cry nonstop

It’s a pain in the butt however, it’s worth it to do every four hours and to wash off the previous stuff and apply fresh so that it can get to the nerves

I’m hoping this is all typical as well from what I’ve read it is

If I were you, I would read up about the vaccine. There is a section on the site about the side effects that people have had and it sounds worse than shingles so I myself I’m not going to at this time but everyone is different. It’s just there’s not a lot of press about how severe the side effects can be. based on the dates of peoples posts, it makes me wonder if they got it in addition to a flu vaccine or perhaps a COVID-19 vaccine. A lot of stores and doctors try and get people to get them all at the same time which is a bad idea even the CEO of Pfizer says he spreads his vaccines out and wouldn’t get a flu vaccine or a Covid vaccine on the same day but would space them out two months I’m guessing that would go for a shingles vaccine as well. Best of luck. I hope you’re feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.