When does the zapping sound stop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

went cold turkey off Effexor 16 days ago. Can anyone help with the zapping sound in my head? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What mg was you on? Not a good idea going cold turkey. I've been off this medication for over one year and I still get brain Zaps. I reduced with help from GP over 3 months and that was too quick. I had to replace with sertraline in the end. Couldn't stand the side effects Effexor left me with. I was however on it for 18 years. Please seek your doctors help reducing. It's really really difficult. Week 3 I crashed big time. Thought I was going to die. Horrific tablet to wean off. Best of luck xxx

• Posted

Thank you! I'm stubborn and I was having the brain zaps for a year on the medicine. So I had enough. My family Doctor put me on it. I don't think they know what this medicine does to a body. I am hoping I can get rid of the zap. I just want to feel better. I am taking Omega 3-6-9 3 at a time 4 times a day. The zapping is better when I take it. I also take a multi vitamin, B complex and magnesium.

• Posted

Sorry I was on 150 mg for 2 1/2 years.
    • Posted

Your GP did not think to try adjusting dosage for you when you complained of brain-zaps ON the drug? Fantastic.

Noone can tell how long the zaps will last. It varies between individuals. The best thing would be to consult a psychiatrist who can gauge whether or not you need a replacement medication. Alternatively, if the zaps do not stop you can try reinstating a sub-therapeutic dose (37.5mg) and seeing how you feel, poerhaps working up to 75mg. The risk with prolonged zaps and other withdrawal issues is escalation of the initial condition. Including psychosis. It is ok to try to stop them, but this is best monitored by a licensed psychiatrist.

• Posted

Thank you for your information.  I am taking Omega's, multi vitamin, B complex and Magnesiem.  My zaps are still pretty much all the time and I am dizzy a lot. Still taking nausea medication.  I have trouble sleeping.  I am on day 21 I think.  I am going to the Chiropractor a couple times a week.  I have times when I want to cry over dumb things.  I know I will be ok but it's going to take time.  I called my PC and told his nurse and their comment to me was your are probably through the worst. I don't have a Psychiatrist.  If the zaps continue I will find a Dr. Who cares.  I just want to get over this.  I finally  have emotions that I didn't know I lost.  Much happier.  I am so sorry for those of you having a much worse time than I am.  

• Posted

Diane I went cold turkey off Venlafaxine 150mg modified release was on it for 5 yrs, i know what its like (I am on week 5 off it ) , are you taking vitamins and omega 3, they do help , zaps stopped about day 20 for me, nothing really stopped them just did, Unfortunately i then got bad stomach pain, which i found alk seltzer worked well and gaviscon ultra. I have a chest infection now so think that is unlinked but it is evil to come off , I am glad i have though as i do feel better, a little anxious sometimes (but get counselling ! it is miles miles better than pills)  hope you get through it dont give in ! you are 16 days through it your body is probably just clearing the remnants and you are within touching distance of being clear !!!
    • Posted

I am glad to hear from you that the zapping has stopped. It's my worst side effect. Sometimes I just want to go to bed and not hear them. I too have the stomach pains and take the same thing you do. Thank you for your  encouragement!  When I found this sight it was such a relief. I thought I was the only one with this horrible ZAPS! 

• Posted

I heard Vit. D an Omega 3 might help.
    • Posted

Thank you! I am taking the Omega3, multi vitamin, Bcomplex and Magnesium.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.