When is it too soon to have sex after TURP operation? What might happen?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I'm 62

I had a rough start to my recovery in hospital. I couldn't empty my bladder.

They re-cathaterised me 3 times in 3 days. 5 days later The cathater came out (whew!)

It's 2 weeks since the op. I now pee 'like a horse' with some pain.

I was given few guidelines on what I could do or not do after the op.

It's taken a lot out of me. I'm told to avoid heavy lifting. My boss told me to have a week off work (I work from home).

Driving is exhausting.

I discovered one morning I could still get an erection (without pain:-); I experimented with masturbation.

I achieved orgasm and as warned - no ejaculate. It didn't feel as pleasurable as before (I hope that gets better);

Masturbating didn't hurt.

Given the above, what damage could I do to myself If I were to make love with my wife.

What do you think?

How long after your TURP did you have sex?

What happened? Did it hurt?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had TURP but after Saturation Biopsy I found that as long as masturbation was OK, so was intercourse.

• Posted

Thanks Pepasan,

Sounds sensible.

I read on the forums that I should 'refrain' for 4 weeks (nobody mentions why, or what damage you can do).

They say 6-8 weeks to 'get back to normal'

Did you have a general anaesthetic for your biopsy?

• Posted

Hay Yabbie, thanks for sharing your story. I will be getting my prostate removed too next month. Sooo I guess I should be expecting some the same issues ummm??
    • Posted

Hi Andrew,

I haven't had my prostate removed I had the inside of it hollowed

out so I could pee better (TURP proceedure - Google it - If you have a strong

stomach search for the videos on TouTube).

So mine is not as invasive as yours.

I've found a lot of help in a local Prostate Support group (I'm in Australia).

You need to check out the possible (probable) sexual side effects. Then ask your

uro about alternatives and precautions.

I wish you well my friend.

Remember to hug your wife if you have one - she's going through

this with you.

Cheers,

Yabbie

• Posted

Yes, general anaesthetic and overnight hospital stay with catheter, because my stream blocks in reaction to the anesthetic, until it fully weras off!
    • Posted

Thanks Pepasan,

My uro is talking a biopsy. I've noticed there are many types.

One from the rectum (one guy found he got infection from the rectal one )

Why did your uro choose the saturation one? (just gathering my amo for that discussion)

Cheers,

Yabbie

• Posted

I needed a saturation biopsy because a previous TRUS (Trans-Rectal Ultrasound) - guided biopsy had shown suspicious samples but weren't conclusive. The saturation biopsy found a definite cancer, luckily minor and which hasn't developed or spread (I'm on active surveillance).

• Posted

Thanks Pepasan,

The uro called my aproach 'Watchful Waiting' (the same as yours I guess)

• Posted

i had turp operation 5 weeks ago and need to masterbate is it safe to do bit worried that it might hurt

• Posted

I know this is several years old but Yabbie. I had the exact same TURP procedure done on December 21 2023. When biopsy was completed they found 3+4=7 cancer. I have a procedure through the rectum as well to make sure nothing has spread. with it being 7 years later my goal is to see how you are doing? hopefully everyone responds.

• Posted

hello, I'm a woman, but exactly the same thing happened to my husband - he went through turp on December 1st 2023 and the histology showed cancer 3+4. Now we are waiting for PET scanner on January 15th 2024. He has wonderful recovery after TURP, but after first sex, we had about a month after the surgery, there was some blood in the urine. We are quite worried now. How do you feel after your TURP?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.