When should I expect a flare?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I reduced my Pred to 9mg four weeks ago.  If I was going to have a flare, would it have happened by now?  Does a flare happen immediately following a drop in Pred or does it creep up on you?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

With me it's happened 48 hours later twice.  So annoying.
  • Posted

Hi sastew

You usually get a flare from reducing preds only if you have reduced too quickly or by too big a reduction, if you seem ok after 4 weeks It would suggest that you were ready to reduce and that you dropped by a satisfactory amount, therefore in future drop by no more than 1mg a day and stay on that level for a month to see how things go. Remember reduce slowly to gain maximum benefit and no flares.Good luck.

• Posted

Sometime I get niggly aches after a reduction usually around the  2 week mark, if it gets worse but is controlled by pain relief then I ride it out.

I don't take a lot of pain killers, but I'm under the impression that if the pain goes away then it's not a flare of PMR just because pre diagnosis and pred I was on a heavy amount of naproxen which didn't give any relief at all.

Ive been on 3mg for a long time and get intermittent pain but I think it has a lot to do with the weather,mat times I have considered increasing my dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.