When will it stop spreading?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had the secondary rash for about 1.5 weeks now. It covers my entire abdomen, chest, back, and has now spread to my armpits, upper and back thighs, neck, and arms. The rash on my trunk has flattened out and is dry and occasionally burns/tingles. Is this a sign that it is on it's way to healing?

The rashes on my armpits, arms, thighs, and neck are still a bit bumpy and not extremely itchy. Based on how the rash is on my trunk, I was hoping that my PR was healing. However, it seems to keep spreading! When will it stop?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

In my case the worst of it peaked around 2 months from first noticing the herald patch. Once the itching stopped I noticed I stopped getting new spots, drying and flaking seemed to be a good sign for me that it was getting past the worst.

It seems that the average time for both herald patch and rash can be anything from 2-12 weeks (sometimes longer). Worth noting that it will be different for everyone.

Advice I gathered from others that I tried is to try emollient creams (I used Aveeno skin relief), head and shoulders conditioner as a shower gel and some sun exposure (max 20 mins and only a few times a week).

I would suggest getting it diagnosed to give you peace of mind if your GP is able to do online appointments, and maybe they will be able to prescribe you topical treatments. If it's PR it will go away, just give it time!

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for replying! I had my herald patch for about 3 weeks before the secondary rash appeared. I was diagnosed with PR by a GP about 4 days after the first appearance of the secondary rash, but she wasn't my regular family doctor so the meeting was quite brief. A few days after posting this, I actually noticed it stopped spreading! I'm probably 3.5 weeks since the appearance of the secondary rash and the whole rash is basically flat. My arms and thighs are still pretty dark since the rash appeared there later, but my trunk area is now just slightly tanned. I've been using Aveeno as well and I was getting sun exposure for maybe 10-15min a day when the rash was very itchy and raised. I've stopped standing out in the sun to avoid potential permanent dark marks now that the rash has flattened and stopped itching. I'm just hoping that they marks and blotches continue to fade. It's definitely a lot better than two weeks ago but I still have a bit to go! I'm also a bit worried of getting it again. I know recurrence is very low but looking at the forum it seems like a lot of people have reoccurences (I know that these forums aren't very representative though).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.