Where should I start?

Posted , 6 users are following.

While at the ortho Dr's for my knee, I mentioned my hip has been bothering me for over 20 years, progressively getting worse. He asked where it hurt and I showed him from the top of my butt around to the inside of my hip bone. He said that hip pain would be in my groin area and didn't think it was hip related. The most painful part is stepping to the side. I gave up roller blades, line dancing, anything that causes my leg to go out toward the side. Hip or spine? 

thanks.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Imaging will tell the true tale. Have you had x-rays or MRI? No definitive diagnosis can be made without imaging.

I had bone-on-bone in my hip necessitating a total hip replacement. I can tell you that the pain was all in my hip joint.

• Posted

time for a second opinion with an orthopedist who will take X-rays, and scans and find out exactly what is going on....... go now not later......

sending you hugs and prayers on the wind...... I hope you will share a better update on this discussion soon!biggrin

• Posted

I wou ld say hip or pirformis muscle issues, both can cause issues with the same area of pain. Sounds like he thinks it is sciatica but sciatica often travels to the foot.

I am currently suffering the same area of pain but have eased symptoms if i swing my leg out to the side. I believe my issue, after two rounds of sterioid therapy is bursitis of the hip in the greater trochanter (sp?)

• Posted

Having my leg go out to the side is what is causing the most pain. I'll have to decide what to do. I do suspect nerve issues but was seeing the ortho Dr for my knee and now my shoulder. Thanks.

• Posted

I did go for a second opinion. Xrays show no arthritis. The Dr thinks bursitis or tendonitis. I was given an injection of lidocaine for diagnostic purposes. I'm not sure how it was supposed to go, but the pain was way worse with the injection, no relief at all and the new pain was almost instant. I have been going to PT. I'm not sure if it's any better or not. It's not worse. I go back to the Dr in a month.

• Posted

I had an MRA that was clear. Injected with steroid this morning. Not better, worse. Told to wait 24 hours and then call if not improved from original pain. He said if this doesn't work he'll do a scope but really doesn't want to do one.

• Posted

Well, after having the x-ray and MRA come back clear the Dr did hip arthroscopy. He told me that imaging on a hip is not all that reliable. I ended up having a torn tendon, torn labrum and cartilage damage down to the bone. Don't give up. If you know something is wrong keep looking for answers. One three hour surgery later, still on crutches but hopeful. The tendon was repaired, the labrum was repaired and I had micro-fracturing done to hopefully repair the cartilage.

• Posted

Did you also have a bursectomy with IT band release? How is your pain level? And if you don't mind my asking how badly torn was the tendon? Can you do any weight bearing as yet, I'd imagine its partial weight only for 6-8 weeks. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Nelmie1234, I don't mind your asking. No bursectomy a it was not bursitis. My pain level most of the time is very low. I have the most pain at night, trying to sleep. My incisions are also sensitive to touch. Not exactly painful but uncomfortable. I am still on crutches with partial weight bearing. Today was the beginning of the seventh week. I see the Dr on Monday (this is Friday). I hope to be off the crutches then. The tendon was torn in an odd way. He held up two fingers as if that was the tendon then wiggled one finger and said it was how it was torn and the end was "flapping". What is making recovery longer is the microfracture of the femoral head to stimulate new cartilage growth.

• Posted

Thanks Victoria...you really went through a lot! That is a pretty extensive amount of work....and how interesting he said that about hip imaging. Lots of people have said the same thing....MRI unremarkable, x-ray unremarkable, for the most part, then the intra-operative inspection found all sorts of things such as torn glut tendons, etc. which they can repair of course. Long recovery for that type of surgery...non weight bearing for many weeks as opposed to a bursectomy and IT Band lenghtening.

I'm facing a trochanteric bursectomy very soon...yahoo can't wait. I think. Just have to meet with a doctor in colorado who has offered to do it via scope. If not someone else has, reluctantly as your surgeon was at first, to do it as an open procedure. Hips are so sneaky... but thank goodness you didn't give up. These things will not resolve on their own once they reach a certain point..its so much better to be on the healing side of things rather than the hurting side.

I suppose you probably aren't walking outside yet or driving? Keep us posted and good thoughts coming your way for a complete resolution of the pain and problems with walking perhaps. The dead give away for a torn tendon, often one of the gluts or abductor tendons of the hip, is pain on lateral abduction. Take care and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.