Whether to have another colonoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 80 years old and had two colonoscopies in the past 6 months - many polyps were removed including a large one. I was told that they were all pre-cancerous, and that I wouldn't ever need to have another colonoscopy. The surgeon's reasoning was that it takes 10 years for polyps to develop into cancer, and by then I would be 90. Since I have had a heart attack some years ago, I probably won't live much longer than that anyway. Besides the risks of colon puncture and/or another heart attack due to the stress of a colonoscopy would not be worth the risk. But I think that I should have another colonoscopy, what do you think.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you feel it would put your mind at rest I would opt for another colonoscopy. I know they can be uncomfortable, I have had them myself and I am only 50. It can be stressful whether or not you have more polyps, and stating 10 years seems a long period of time to me.

Other people on here may have different opinions, but if you had cancer previously like myself, I would definitely ask for a second opinion - it is better to be safe than sorry.

I had a colonoscopy at Xmas last year and they removed one polyp, I was lucky it was not cancerous. About 6 years ago I was being treated for an infection, turned out 6 weeks later I was misdiagnosed and I did in fact have cancer. Go by your instinct not the surgeon, and put your mind at rest.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

If you don't find the procedure too painful or stressful then have it.  But at that age it's a big risk.  Have a virtual colonoscopy instead.  It can't remove polyps but can see if you have any and the size of them 
  • Posted

This is a difficult decision for you to make.  I can see the reasoning for the surgeons suggestions, colonoscopies, in my opinion are very stressful.  But this is you, and I think if a colonoscopy would put your mind at rest, and you feel sure you could cope with another one, you have the right to insist on this.  Go for it, and I hope it all goes well.

Margaret

• Posted

I had a polyp removed and was told it would have changed and turned nasty. I was told to have a colonoscopy every 5 ys because that's how long it can take for them to change. No one knows how old you'lllive till, it could be another 20years.. I know they are painfull perhaps you could ask for a scan instead due to your age and heart problems. I don't think I would leave it 10 years.
  • Posted

You need to seek your own comfort level.

I worked in the health field for decades, though, and I have seen that people age differently.  Some people are frail at age 55, others at 95.  Part of it also depends on how well you tolerated previous colonoscopies, and of course, the skill of the doctor operating the colonoscopy device.  If you are confident with the skill of your gastroenterologist, then stick with him.  If he isn't available, then be VERY carefull on whom you choose to do a colonoscopy. 

Personally, I am in the camp of leaving well enough alone, but it's your decision.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.