White Foci Hyperintensities - Brain MRI

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

About 9 months ago I started to notice that my short term memory was deteriorating. Initially I didn't think much of it but it seemed to get progressively worse to the point that I flagged it with my GP. I would always have been very good with names and faces and I have become terrible with both of them. I literally don't recognise some people that I've met before now, which never happened me before. I also have difficulty recalling words and tend to forget about about appointments and other commitments regularly. I would have been a little bit forgetful before but again, it seems to have gotten a lot worse lately. 

I went for a brain MRI and the report stated that there were small foci of white hyperintensities visible. I did some research and what I've read seems to suggest that these can appear with old age, or with health conditions like high cholesterol and high blood pressure. 

The thing is I am only 25 years old and am in peak physical condition. I play professional rugby, and my physical fitness and diet are both at a very high standard. My concern is that my symptoms may be a result of too many bangs to the head or collisions in general. I play hooker as well, which for those of you who aren't familiar with rugby means that I am subjected to repeated collisions at the neck area as a result. 

I'm just waiting on an appointment with a neurologist now. Could anyone shed some light on this? I won't get paranoid or freaked out by anything, and am just looking for honest opinions. 

Thank you very much.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing show up on my MRI a couple years ago...but the Drs showed no concern. I had it done as I started getting a lack of coordination...which has lead to a diagnosis of atypical parkinsonism. I  am now 63 (and disabled), but was always very healthy and in good shape.  I believe  the hyperintensities do have a significance, but no-one seems to realize that?! I was exposed to pesticides just prior to my symptoms starting.
  • Posted

I'm 60, I do not have any problems with memory, but I had an MRI done due too becoming concerned about symptoms that may have been MS, the Test was done because I have othet autoimmune illnesses.

Anyway, I was told everything was clear, but I did have several ""Hypertensities".

I'm the natural aging process they would be in a variety of places, but in your age if you suspected injury was the cause, wouldn't the damage be in clusters?

You also did say if you had a lot and to what degree.

I understand its basically small holes.

Darlene

• Posted

Thanks for both of your replies guys. I suppose the big difference between me and you both is my age, I'm a few decades younger! 

Laurie - what is atypical parkinsonism? I know the feeling about believing something has significant but others not seeming to think so, so I empathise with you there. I've had similar situations with my asthma.

Darlene - I'm afraid I haven't read the report myself, it was only relayed to me by my GP. I think they are pretty small in size but I'm not sure how many of them there are. Also I don't know enough about biology to know whether an injury would result in clusters, but based on the internet research I've done, I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think trauma can result in different kinds of hyperintensities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.