White spots on skin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

since been on Pred I'm noticing white spots on my arms and legs. 1-3mm, in sun exposed areas, but I do not stay in sun more than 15-20 minutes and rarely during high times and not daily.

I googled and found white macules (hypomelanosis) but also saw something about depressed immune... Could this be another Pred symptom coming from my PMR experience? 

Anyone else have this? I have question out to my family too to see if hereditary. It's not a big deal, I just was always an easily to tan person and noticed more white spots. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Heaven knows where the notification went for this thread! Sorry - I just noticed it as not having been answered.

When you are on pred it can make the distribution of melanin in the skin more uneven - these patches of white and freckled skin often increase with aging and pred is thought to mimic some of the signs of aging so it could be that. 

I've always tanned very evenly - even though I don't go out much in direct sun twhich is actually the best way to tan if you are going to do it at all, your skin makes its protective brown without getting anywhere near burning - but while on Medrol the patchy effect appeared and I tended to go red very quickly and then it faded without browning at all which was very unusual for me. Now my skin is back to normal with a fairish tan - again, nothing to do with "sunbathing". My arms are already brown by the end of April!

• Posted

Ahhh. Good to know! I just noticed the big increase of them recently.

i too tan very easily and agree with you I try to NOT be in direct sun during high noon type hours.

thanks Eileen, funny how it makes one feel "better" to know its probably the Pred. Hard being 54 going on 74. wink 

i just thought I'd age better, ha, ha. wink 

good to know your skin is back to normal, hope I have same luck.

• Posted

I don't know - pre-pred I felt 57 going on 120! Pred isn't all bad - I had no wrinkles and my nails were hard and grew long. Now I'm down to 4mg they're breaking again - drat!
    • Posted

Yeah... 120 does sound more like it.

awe, I thought our new found stronger nails was all the Calcium I now take! 

I just hope the acid reflux goes away and dry mouth! doctors refuse to blame PRED, but have tested me for everything else.  I read it's rare but can cause dry mouth and nose. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.