Who makes the best biscuits

Posted , 6 users are following.

Newly diagnosed. Can cope with the food changes etc but what do you buy when your morning coffee is just TOO wet. I tried the ADSA shortbread this morning, tasted like chalk so disgusting. I like rice cakes, but a good old fashion piece of cake or biscuit would not go amiss. Sourdough toast is fab and seabrooks crisps are great for picky days. Also how long does it take to notice a real difference once gluten removed from diet. My friend said I would know but did not elaborate !!! Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

My favourite, and the main reson for putting on weight are the Tesco Range of free From products. Especially the Shortbread & Lemon cakes

I started to notice a difference by about 3 months, especially the Dermatitis clearing up. I had the 'so this is what normal feels like' moment and don't want to go back smile

• Posted

Thanks Manic will pay a visit to Tesco in the morning. Lemon is a real favourite of mine so will be buying that along with the shortbread. I am looking forward to the normal feeling, has been so long what with GERD and Divi as well cannot wait. Take care.
  • Posted

HUGS!!!

We have different brands for the most parts since I'm in the States. But, just tried Walker's GF Shortbread and that was good...dry like shortbread is, of course. We've enjoyed Schar wafers (my son with CD can't have nuts, so we get the lemon ones, but also hazelnut),  Oh, my - I just googled Schar biscuits UK and saw we have none in common!!  But, you could try what interests you from their line...my CD son and my gluten-eating son both like the cookies we've had from them, although my husband doesn't care for coconut which they bake into their chocolate chip cookies.

Oh, it will probably take quite a while to really feel the difference...feel yourself again. Months...took my son 4-6 months and he was diagnosed at age 6. Some take years, but I don't think that's common - the villi are constantly regenerating and with the cleanest eating possible you won't damage them, so they should be replaced (and other gut damage restored) in a few months' time.  Brain fog and neurological symptoms may show improvement even sooner, and less pain quickly too, even if some remains for months...Everyone is different, but that's to be expected.

Good luck to you - this is quite a journey!  Journeys are better for me with snacks, so I hope you find good ones soon!  We've gone GF at home (minus what my husband and I may sneak when our boys are asleep), and I've found that baking fills in some gaps...lots of blogs and websites out there to help with all kinds of recipes, if you're interested!

• Posted

Hi, lucky you being in the States, I love visiting especially the amazing supermarkets, that's my problem I love eating, which is why I want to make this journey as painless as possible. Looking forward to the less pain part, already notice a little less swollen after 2 days so here hoping it continues. Will look on the web for recipes and make my own. I do have a bread maker so should be able to have some decent bread. Thanks
  • Posted

You might find that joining Coeliac UK is helpful in that they have a directory of products.  I find that Tesco and Sainsbury's have good ranges of gluten-free products, although I tend to buy mostly from Sainsbury's.  It is more useful to look at the range on-line because there are many items not found in the stores, I guess there is only so much shelf space they are prepared to commit to free-from products!  Holland & Barrett also stock some interesting gluten-free biscuits.

As to the time needed to notice a difference, I can't really help.  I was diagnosed as suffering from CD during the same endoscopy session that found my bowel cancer.  It was and continues to be, difficult to determine which symptom belongs to which problem!  One thing I have found is that by keeping to a gluten-free diet I have actually become more sensitive to the stuff.  In the 'old days' I didn't really have too much of a problem.  If I eat even a small amount now, retribution is swift and dramatic.  It certainly concentrates the mind on studying the ingredients of what one is about to consume!

• Posted

Hi, I will be joining Coeliac as it does look a good place to find information. Sorry to hear about your cancer and hope you are keeping well. I have only just been diagnosed and already cannot believe how much food has gluten in even jelly sweets have flour. Found some vegetable crisps tonight which are pretty good. As long I can eat something that tastes good I will be happy. Take care
  • Posted

There's plenty of good stuff out there, it's just a case of finding it.  As you say, it's surprising where wheat products are found, I was taken aback to find that liquorice alsorts included gluten.  I have yet to try the Coeliac UK app for smart 'phones.  This, it is claimed, allows one to scan the bar code of a product to find out if it is OK.

As for the cancer;  I had the op last year followed by chemo.  It all seems to be going OK at the moment.  It's now a case of keeping fingers, and a few other things, crossed.

• Posted

Good to hear you are ok. let's hope it stays that way for a very long time. Yes, I too was shocked about liquorice allsorts, I went to eat one this morning, I am hooked on reading labels HA HA and trying not to drive everyone mad. My darling hubbie just rang and said shall I bring fish and chips in. AAAAAHHHHH. Bye for now.
  • Posted

Hi , if you go online and contact "the wheat free bakery" at Broxburn West Lothian Scotland,   they do a fab range of products.  They do Tiger bread,bagels , sub rolls, carrot cake vanilla cupcakes, in season they do the most yummy strawberry tarts, doughnuts, millionaires shortbread, pineapple cakes, too many to mention,  I can thoroughly recommend them Enjoy !
    • Posted

Hi Irene, thanks for that will have a look, it is the lack of cake that gets me the most, so sad I know but one of life's little pleasures.  It is really weird though, I have not had the blood test yet but GP said she was 99% certain that is what it is, but last without thinking I started to eat a small yorkshire with no effect whatsover, but earlier in the week the pain was incredible after eating a coconut thing that I was convinced did not have flour in.  Can you be a bit coeliac or could my GP be wrong?
  • Posted

I think you should still be eating gluten, if you have stopped your blood tests will come back negative as the gluten will have gone out of your system. I know this from personal experience,  my bloods came back neg twice.  my endoscopy showed inflamation, but  aparently the damage can be further down in your gut (where the endoscopy doesn't go) I was diagnosed with the DH form of coeliac.  The symptoms are so varied. your doc was wrong to tell you to go gluten free before testing you. there are soooooo many people in the medical profession who haven't got a clue about it !!! good luck 
    • Posted

I had heard that so will introduce some back again, I think the problem was because I have diverticular and had a flare up I was eating nothing but bread, pasta etc all the beige things so now pain has started to subside will introduce it back again and wait for my test. I know what you mean about medics not knowing much, my own GP said it was all in my head!! Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.