Why can't I accept my movement disorder?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got tardive dysikinesia from taking antipsychotic medication (for just a week..!) and there isn't much anyone can do really. All treatment for it involves taking other strong mind altering drugs with equally evil side effects.

It sucks. I am living my life to the fullest I can regardless of my involuntary oral buccal lingual tongue and mouth movements and other odd tics but having no-one to talk to that truly understands makes me so frustrated and sad. I have online friends both in the UK and America with the same condition which are an immense source of support but none of my immediate friends or family come close to even beginning to understand what it is like. How could they? How could anyone? Psychiatric treatment does save lives but it also destroys it too.

Sorry for the mini rant - just having a bad day. Living with this for more than a year so far gets tiring. 😔

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh bless u nikki i suffered the same after being put on large doses of chlorpromazine ( largagtil ) an anti psychotic b4 my daughter was born. We all shuffled around the psychi wards like zombies and i had the same symptoms as u plus my eyesight & & handwriting was affected badly. It was awful... bless u. Here to listen xx xxx

• Posted

Yes, I can relate to certain social and emotional aspects of this. Hang in there.
  • Posted

Hi, i feel so sorry for your problems. Hold on and keep talking seems to be a common mamtra on these sites.

i have been prescribed buccal for nausea which came on the back of zoloft.  I am wondering if i should take it now or just put up with the nausea.  Have you any advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.