Why do i see better after cataract surgery then I have in fifty years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes completed. I am sure everyone has lazer done. I am not one for details but I haven't got a satisfactor answer from anyone at the clinic. Don't believe in miracles. and just what the heck did the lazer do to an eyes that haven't been able to read and see distances. I went in for surgery while I ask staff what is the lazer doing the only response was ask the doctor or the lazer is going to work on your eye. That is not an answer. I did get it the first room took pictures and broke up the cataract I think. Moved to the second room where blood pressure heart monitors and many people were available. I was never alone as I made the journey and things seem to have worked out. But I have yet to learn what the lazer actually did other then breakup the cataract. I know there was a lense implanted. If the correction was made with the lense then seems to be that It would have to be replaced every few years. But from everyone that I talked to said no they had the surgery done and never had to go back. Am I the only one with this puzzling question. Did ask the doctor when I went in because I thought I was getting the cataract removed and paying extra for lasik which i was told was going to fix the vision. They went and got the doctor. Who told me it is not lasik. But we are going to fix your distant vision. He being in a hurry and me being in the middle of the procedure said okay good to go. But I am still baffled. Can anyone tell me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First of all, which IOL did you get implanted and to what focus? I am asking because the procedure with laser in having to get the distant corrected. You are talking about laser surgery after your initial surgery right? If not, you probably had laser-accomodated cataract surgery. Cataract surgery IOLs is a one time thing, meaning it'd never have to be replaced, unless you decide to get a lens exchange. Other vision accomodation is usually done through laser.

• Posted

I have been told by my Optician that I have Cataracts in both eyes. I am male, 61 years old.  In Plymouth Devon. He told me to make an appointment in about three years time at Derriford Hospital to get them removed. I can't afford Laser treatment. I think it's very expensive? He said it is a painless operation under local anaesthetic, I also have black 'Floaters; in my left eye. Little dots that move from side to side when I look left and right. If you are an NHS patient, I think the operation is free? Neville

• Posted

Cataract surhery is free on the NHS. You are referred by your GP. Ask your optician for a referal form to take to the GP. You will be seen by the surgeon and if they think you need surgery now it will be done in about 4/5 months.

The only time 'laser' is involved is when the lens is destroyed and removed

• Posted

Lasik or Lasix correction is a different eye correction procedute. Cataract surgery is totally different. I was told if you had a Lasik procedure they do the cataract surgery differently.

When I had my cataract surgery I was told they remove your natural eye lens and insert a medical lens in your eye. It depends on your doctor if it will correct your distance vision or your close vision. My cataract surgery corrected my close and far vision, but I still use prescription eye wear to see very far away but I can see people's faces now without eye wear.I was told you can get cataracts again. I had both eyes done in August 2015 in the US.My doctor inserted ACR Sof IQ lens.My doctor gave me my Patient Lens Implant Identification Card, that shows the model number and the serial number for my both lens.I don't know if you get that in the UK. It sure helps me to know what kind of lens are in my eyes. It also lists my name and the doctors name on the I'd card and when the surgery was done.

I hope this information helps you. If not maybe your clinic may be able to give you more information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.